Subscribe

Forum

Does a postdoctoral researcher have a legitimate chance at an R03/R21 award?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Does a postdoctoral researcher have a legitimate chance at an R03/R21 award?

Postby WY » Mon Dec 03, 2007 9:15 pm

I\'m six months into my first postdoc and in a few years (2-3), I wish to apply for tenure-track positions at research-intensive institutions.

I was wondering what are the chances of a postdoc receiving an R03 or R21? If the preliminary results are deemed interesting by the research community and the PI/department summits a letter of support, would it be plausible for a postdoctoral researcher to receive one of these awards? I understand that within certain institutes, R03 and/or R21 funding is earmarked for particular mechanisms.

Or are these now perceived as awards for new PIs to build a research program toward an R01 application and thus it would be futile for a postdoc to apply for one?

Also, super-briefly, could someone discuss the possible use of a K01 as a mechanism to fund a short second postdoc?
WY

Return to Science Careers Forum