Next Step Advice

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Next Step Advice

Postby T. Holland » Sun Feb 10, 2008 8:42 pm

I am graduate student looking for some career advice. Unfortunately, I do not feel comfortable going to people in my department because obviously, as professors themselves, they prefer their own career track. When I have talked to a professor, they highly discouraged me from getting \"off\" the post-doc route and said that if I did so, it was career suicide. The situation is that
I come from a high pressure lab where literally everyone was in lab seven days a week, working 10 hours or more a day and if we weren\'t it was definitely pointed out and critized by the PI harshly. I feel that now near the end that I am sometimes doing experiments just in order to graduate and often I don\'t like reading the papers that I know I should. I don\'t like feeling this way and I have never felt this way before at any point in my education, and I am worried that if I feel this way it reflects a lack of dedication to science. Has anyone else ever felt this way? And if so, for how long? Would taking a year off doing something \"else\" be a death-knoll to doing a post-doc? As I stand now, I think I could get into a good post-doctoral laboratory, but I am not sure how that would change if I left science (or academic research) for a while. Sorry if this isn\'t really a direct career question that is appropriate for this forum, but rather a personal experience question.
T. Holland

Return to Science Careers Forum