Subscribe

Forum

MS Degree - Skill set

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

MS Degree - Skill set

Postby Andy R. » Tue Apr 15, 2008 1:58 pm

Dear all -

As previously discussed, I am a student contemplating leaving my program with a MS degree. Before I make the decision, I wanted to determine whether or not my skill set would be favorable for employment with an MS degree. Any and all input is helpful.

I am currently in a medicinal chemistry department. I have done many different techniques, however, as you may guess, I am not a master at any of them, but, I do have varied experience, which follows as such, this summarizes the majority of what I have done -

1) Organic syntheses of small molecules requiring 1-4 steps on a milligram to multi-gram scale - familiar with purification techniques (HPLC, flash chromatography, recrystallization) and characterization techniques (NMR, IR, MS)
2) In vitro cell-based assays for evaluation of small molecules against various targets/cell lines, proficient in aseptic cell culture technique
3) In vivo studies involving mice - involved administering synthesized compounds to mice and monitoring protein levels in mice organs after sacrifice
4) Monitoring protein expression levels via western blotting - also, experience with flow cytometry

Additionally, I have one first-author publication in print, and another two publications (first-author) coming out soon.

From what I have discussed, would I be competitive for either a biotech or pharma RA position? In addition, I am willing to relocate anywhere and also willing to pick up new skills if need be - it will be a few months before I graduate, if i make the decision. Are there any weaknesses that I possess or other skills/traits I need to be competitive for an RA position? Most people have told me that I should be very marketable/employable with my skill set for a MS position.

Thank you very much for any insight you many have, I appreciate it.
Andy R.

Return to Science Careers Forum