Subscribe

Forum

When can you claim PhD ABD?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: When can you claim PhD ABD?

Postby K. MacBean » Fri Aug 26, 2016 4:52 pm

Medical Doctors are in-fact called MD before they graduate, and nurse practitioners (MSN) or MPH degree holders are often called DR. at major medical centers.

There are many direct-entry undergraduate level doctor degrees that did not require an undergraduate completion of the BS or graduate degree to enter the program such as the DVM, DO, DC etc.

The title ‘Doctor’ means “teacher,” and “dissertation” means a focus on what you intend to teach as a teacher… not so much additional training or research. So the title PhD is not limited to any degree of research completed, rather postgraduate requirements or education to fulfill that level.

Terminal (PhD or The Terminal 85+/-hour Masters) is related to what hoursin field/level one has preparation in as a course of study i.e. (Terminal Masters or other terminal degree such as the PhD).

If your highest level of training was at the terminal degree level and that was called a PhD by your program of study or any other related terminal degree level title such as the MLArch/MArch/MFA etc. than for that individual to reference such standing as a fact (which is, they are just indicating their completed course level of study) is not unprofessional or against the notion of ‘qualification by education’ at that level through coursework hours completed. Using the educational level status indication of PhD (abd)is a universal method for such standing.

For example other much older fields such as Architecture that also have terminal professional degree programs such as Master of Landscape or Building Architecture requires additional hours above that required for most nonprofessional PhD programs found in other fields; however, these professional architecture school degrees also required research to complete. That professional architect’s degree has a public practice and license component, and their Architect reputation is built on qualification as being a ‘Master’ at what they do yet they have Land & Building Architects as Teachers, Deans and Presidents of leading universities also based on postgraduate terminal professional hours of educational qualification and not a particular title or degree indication and/or being referenced as Doctor etc. as this title is not any factual indication of the level of difficulty or education required in the non-teaching professional degree disciplines.
K. MacBean

Postby PG » Tue Aug 30, 2016 2:36 pm

I have never seen PhD ABD used in natural sciences and I am not sure that my initial reaction to an application that does use it would be positive. If you havent finished your PhD just write so in your cover letter and explain either why you didnt perform your defence or when you will do so.
PG

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Aug 31, 2016 7:39 am

PG wrote:I have never seen PhD ABD used in natural sciences and I am not sure that my initial reaction to an application that does use it would be positive. If you havent finished your PhD just write so in your cover letter and explain either why you didnt perform your defence or when you will do so.

I agree with PG, and although we are on different continents, our reaction to the PhD ABD comment is the same . . . you risk a total loss of credibility,

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum