Subscribe

Forum

J1 waiver, US funding source

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby DHJ » Thu Sep 10, 2009 8:15 pm

I will suggest you to opt for H1B and avoid J1.
DHJ

Postby GAT » Fri Sep 11, 2009 1:03 pm

J1 has advantages and one should consider them before categorically rejecting it. The first advantage is taxes. You dont have to pay social security taxes during the first two years. The other advantage is for your spouse, if you are married. She/He can apply for Employment Authorization Document (EAD) and can legally work in the US as long as primary visa holder is in status. An H4 spouse (spouse of H1 holder) can not work. No objection is waiver is usually not a big deal, interestingly most of the problems arrise from your home country rather than US Department of State. People usually overlook that, but H1 can not be extended more than six years unless a green card application is approved for the visa holder. After holding J1 for a couple of years and getting your waiver, you can always go for an H1 or a green card.
GAT

Postby Gail G. » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:07 pm

Is it true/does it make sense to assume that state funded universities are obligated to sponsor J1 visas? In other words, will it be wiser/safer to apply to a private university for postdocs so that there is a better chance of me getting a H1B visa?
Gail G.

Postby Derek McPhee » Mon Sep 28, 2009 2:27 pm

I suspect all universities are in the same boat on this one - J1 is the favorite of the DHS because it runs through the SEVIS tracking system - for the institutions complying is a simple "pain free" matter, whereas the H1 is more of a hassle and I know of no bureaucrat anywhere that will take a more cumbersome route if an easy one exists.
Derek McPhee
Advisor

Postby M.A. » Tue Sep 29, 2009 12:22 pm

I find this discussion very interesting since I was in a similar situation myself a long time ago. I was concerned about J-1/HRR and was told by our International Office that R01 funds routed through the Institute's payroll would not count as government funding. I then went to a Consulate in Mexico to get a J-1 visa, and was promptly given a visa without 2-Year HRR. I have since received both H-1B visa and a green card. I guess it is something of a lottery but based on my experience and advice given by the head of the International Office I assumed that getting NIH funding while on J-1 visa was safe enough.
M.A.

Postby AS9734 » Thu Oct 08, 2009 3:34 am

I had a J1 with direct government funding and got a no objection waiver of the 2 year rule approved with no problem. It takes a couple of months though and some paperwork.
Not sure if you are bringing family, but I think GAT brought up some pretty good advantages with the J1 compared to H1 if you do.
I would not worry too much about the J1 vs H1 visa.

AS9734

Re: J1 waiver, US funding source

Postby Anupama N » Sun Jun 24, 2018 5:35 pm

I know this comes a couple years later but I'm facing a very similar dilemma now. I'm on a J-1 visa, subject to the 2 year residency requirement. I'm also on university payroll through an NSF grant that my PI received. Just wanted to check how things worked out for people in a similar boat, who still applied for the No-Objection waiver? Was the funding considered government sourced?

Any advice is appreciated. Thank you very much.
Anupama N

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum