Subscribe

Forum

A couple of nice little features I've discovered . . .

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

A couple of nice little features I've discovered . . .

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Jan 20, 2012 9:46 am

Topics (what we used to call threads) that you haven't read yet, or that have new content you haven't seen) have a red logo next to them on the main page (the icon that shows a page of text -- it's black when you've read all, and red when there's new content).

The cool thing is that you can click on the really tiny little icon that's to the right of this (just left of the topic title) and it takes you to the first of the posts you haven't read. Cool!

Use this topic to post any other nice features you've found on our new forum software,

Dave
“The world isn't fair, Calvin."
"I know Dad, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?”
― Bill Watterson, The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Re: A couple of nice little features I've discovered . . .

Postby Ana » Fri Jan 20, 2012 12:46 pm

That one is really cool. Thank you for flagging it.
Ana

Postby RGM » Sat Jan 21, 2012 8:18 pm

Dave,

I would "pin" this in the announcements section so people will always be able to find it.

Just my two cents. Like the little feature too!
"Some men see things as they are and say why, I dream things that never were and say why not"
"If you think research is expensive, try disease." - Mary Lasker
RGM

Postby Del » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:39 pm

A useful feature would be the ability to create a new thread. Supposedly that exists but the FAQ was useless and I have not been able to see where this function is now hidden.
Del

Postby Rich Lemert » Tue Jan 24, 2012 5:58 pm

If you go directly into the forum, up at the top before the topic list, there's a button for "new thread" that's right next to the "search topics" fill box.
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Postby Del » Tue Jan 24, 2012 11:25 pm

Thanks, Rich, I'd never come in that way before.
Del

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Jan 25, 2012 4:24 pm

Rich Lemert wrote:If you go directly into the forum, up at the top before the topic list, there's a button for "new thread" that's right next to the "search topics" fill box.

On my screen, the forum home page has a very large "NEW TOPIC" button at the bottom right of the main page listing the topics.

Dave
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Chris » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:19 pm

Hi Dave, I know others have had trouble with this, so I thought I'd post this observation: that "new topic" button isn't always there at the top of the page. I just noticed that, coming in through a link on the Science careers page, there was no new topic button. After I navigated into a thread and back to the main forum page, it was back. No idea why sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not, but this would explain why it's been so hard for some people (including myself!) to find the link.
Chris

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Jun 22, 2012 12:22 pm

Chris wrote:Hi Dave, I know others have had trouble with this, so I thought I'd post this observation: that "new topic" button isn't always there at the top of the page. I just noticed that, coming in through a link on the Science careers page, there was no new topic button. After I navigated into a thread and back to the main forum page, it was back. No idea why sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not, but this would explain why it's been so hard for some people (including myself!) to find the link.

Thanks Chris, we already have the programmers developing a BIG and ALWAYS THERE "new topic" button!

Dave
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Sean S. » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:16 pm

Chris wrote:Hi Dave, I know others have had trouble with this, so I thought I'd post this observation: that "new topic" button isn't always there at the top of the page. I just noticed that, coming in through a link on the Science careers page, there was no new topic button. After I navigated into a thread and back to the main forum page, it was back. No idea why sometimes it's there and sometimes it's not, but this would explain why it's been so hard for some people (including myself!) to find the link.

Hi Chris,

I'm working with our forum developers on improving this functionality, so I'd like to learn more about your experience. When you say that the New Topic button "isn't always there," do you mean that sometimes you see it and sometimes there's just a blank space where it should be? Or are you saying that it's not on pages where you would expect (or like) it to be, but that you never see it there?

Thanks for your assistance in helping us improve the forum.

Sean
Sean S.

Next

Return to Science Careers Forum