Subscribe

Forum

A couple of nice little features I've discovered . . .

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: A couple of nice little features I've discovered . . .

Postby Chris » Fri Jun 22, 2012 4:05 pm

Ok Sean, if I go to the forum "home", it's not there. If I click on any of the choices (view unanswered posts, view unread posts, view new posts, view active topics), it's not there. If, instead, I click on the "science careers forum" title on the "home" page, the "new topic" link then shows up.

If I click on one of the discussion threads, then I get the "post reply" option but not "new post" (which is fine and probably by design). And if I then return to the science careers forum out of the discussion, the "new topic" button is there again.

So it looks like the problem comes in how you access the forum - choosing any of the more focused options on the "home" page results in no "new topic" button. It looks like these options are treated as a search, perhaps if you search the forum you aren't given the option to create a new topic based on the results? I'm having trouble getting the search function to work so I can't verify that this is true. I should note that the forum recognizes me as logged in throughout this. If it matters, I'm using Safari on a Mac.

And yes, by "not there" I mean that there is a white space where it would be.
Chris

Postby V » Wed Jun 27, 2012 5:38 pm

I can not get this new topic link no matter which way I go from http://scforum.sciencecareers.org
Some people might be having the same problem.
Dave posted direct link to this page in response to my question & I bookmarked it.
V

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Jun 27, 2012 6:48 pm

V wrote:I can not get this new topic link no matter which way I go from http://scforum.sciencecareers.org
Some people might be having the same problem.
Dave posted direct link to this page in response to my question & I bookmarked it.

That link is the forum home page. There are no links to post a new topic there. You have to go to the link at the top of that page for the actual list of topics and THEN click a new topic button,

Dave
“The world isn't fair, Calvin."
"I know Dad, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?”
― Bill Watterson, The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum