Subscribe

Forum

Update on US biotech areas

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Update on US biotech areas

Postby Ken » Thu Nov 01, 2012 4:49 pm

I was reading past threads such as this: http://scforum.sciencecareers.org/viewtopic.php?f=1&t=2606&p=12396&hilit=florida#p12396

regarding the biotech hot spots in the US. This is from a few years ago, and obviously, a lot has changed since 2006. So, what regions of the US have fared well in the past six years, and which have diminished?

I feel that Dave's friend's mentioning that Boston was growing has certainly come true, and it almost seems as though it has come at the expense of the San Francisco area.

Have any of the smaller regions mentioned in that thread picked up steam?

Now that we all have our jetpacks and robot housekeepers, what has changed since 2006?
Ken

Re: Update on US biotech areas

Postby RGM » Sat Nov 03, 2012 6:34 pm

In short, any city which as the right mix of institutions is hoping to cash in on a higher paying tax base, ie tech jobs.

I've heard that PA, and Austin, TX have been growing their tech communities. While others already known for it, continue to expand (Research Triangle Park)
"Some men see things as they are and say why, I dream things that never were and say why not"
"If you think research is expensive, try disease." - Mary Lasker
RGM

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:09 am

Thanks Ken, for asking about this important topic.

I read recently that the growth in Boston has pushed it into a clear #1 position, and that it has indeed hurt both the SoCal and NorCal regions.

One other region that has really just steamrolled along is North Carolina. For more than 30 years they have been incentivizing their biotech industry. This location is probably the single most supportive place there is to start a company -- there are so many resources available for you, so many service companies waiting to assist, etc.

Dave
“The world isn't fair, Calvin."
"I know Dad, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?”
― Bill Watterson, The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby MDM » Mon Nov 05, 2012 3:47 pm

Latest developments in Research Triangle Park over the years is kind of a mixed bag. I guess it depends on what kind of area you are in. There's a ton going on if you are in clinical research or drug manufacturing. However, if you are looking for drug discovery jobs with large pharma companies, most of them have pulled out of RTP. Most of the discovery jobs are going to be with biotechs. BASF, Syngenta and Bayer Crop Science are still there but more oriented to plant drugs.
I agree it is a great place to start a company.
MDM

Return to Science Careers Forum