Subscribe

Forum

resume help

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

resume help

Postby V » Sat Nov 03, 2012 11:53 am

In resume, should I list courses? and then in skills section can describe skills with reference to those courses?.

Never heard of listing courses on a resume. Any thoughts please.

Thanks
Last edited by V on Thu Dec 13, 2012 6:48 pm, edited 5 times in total.
V

Re: resume help

Postby Rich Lemert » Sat Nov 03, 2012 2:42 pm

Just seeing a laundry list of "courses taken" on a resume is not going to cause me to get excited about a candidate. I could probably predict at least half of them knowing what field you're in and where you went to school. In fact, there are some that, if you did not list them I would question your qualifications since they would be so fundamental to the field. The other problem is that just completing a course doesn't say anything about how well you know the material.

If you want to catch the hiring manager's attention, you need to address the question "why should I care about this person?" They're going to be more interested in what you can do after having taken those courses - and that doesn't mean turn this into a list of skills. Figure out what kinds of problems you can solve for the guy using what you've learned in those courses.
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Nov 05, 2012 9:14 am

I think there may be a way to use some courses taken to your advantage. For example, if you were looking to make a career change and you wanted to highlight your work in a given area. Perhaps you come from a lab background but you're applying for a project management role. You may have taken business courses, project management classwork, and so on. In your education section, you might show your PhD first, the BS next, and then right below that put something like "Additional Training" that highlights some of these additional areas.

Also, in the Summary paragraph that begins the CV at the top (it may be worded "Qualified By"). where you mention relevant experience, you might also reference very specific studies.

Dave
“The world isn't fair, Calvin."
"I know Dad, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?”
― Bill Watterson, The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby V » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:41 am

Once I had used this idea in summary statement. Now that it has expert's approval, I will use it with no worries.

Thank you all, for your precious input.
V

Postby V » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:45 pm

Is one page resume OK for an entry level position or it has to be a two page document?

Thanks
Last edited by V on Mon Nov 26, 2012 9:01 pm, edited 2 times in total.
V

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Nov 26, 2012 7:51 pm

V wrote:Is one page resume OK for an entry level position or it has to be a two page document?

Thanks

Always put everything you need in your document, every item that you need to sell the employer on the fit. And yet, be succinct. So, if that ends up being one page, that's fine. If you're a PhD, hard to imagine one page however.

Dave
“The world isn't fair, Calvin."
"I know Dad, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?”
― Bill Watterson, The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby V » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:09 pm

I have a resume writing book where they also write citizenship, somewhere on the top.

Should we write this?
V

Postby Rich Lemert » Mon Nov 26, 2012 8:32 pm

I can see where you might do this for jobs in the defense or intelligence industries. Generally, though, you want to make the hiring manager interested in what you offer to the job. Get them interested enough in what YOU bring to the table, and they'll figure out how to get around those pesky little details like "visa status".
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Return to Science Careers Forum