Subscribe

Forum

question

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

question

Postby V » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:25 pm

I applied for a position, the relevant person replied that he will talk to to his team if they can hire me as a trainee.

I have sent emails to inquire, did not receive any response back. The worst he can say is, no.

How should I read into this?
Last edited by V on Thu Nov 15, 2012 7:40 am, edited 1 time in total.
V

Re: how should I read into this?

Postby R.J.G. » Sun Nov 04, 2012 8:59 pm

"How should I read into this"

Don't? Wait for the guy to get back to you?
R.J.G.

Postby PG » Mon Nov 05, 2012 1:16 am

Usually when we get applications for advertised positions we send a note saying something like "thank you we have received your application and are wokring as fast as we can to fill the position. We will contact you as soon as we have any news". After this we often dont send more information until the position have been filled and many times we are slow or bad at responding to questions about how the process is moving forward.
The reasons for this is only available time. When we advertise we might get a couple of hundred applications, of those maybe half sends at least one more e-mail asking about the process and some send more. We do try to answer specific questions about the position or the company.
PG

Postby V » Mon Nov 05, 2012 6:18 pm

---
Last edited by V on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:31 pm, edited 2 times in total.
V

Postby PG » Tue Nov 06, 2012 1:09 am

Most companies (at least around here) will let you know when the position you applied for have been filled. If you dont hear anything it is more likely that something else is going on.

One such possibility would be that that company have made a decision not to hire new staff (to improve financials). In that scenario creating a trainee position might have been a way for the hiring department (that needs new staff) to circumvent that decision. Maybe it didnt work and they dont really know when they can fill the position. Since they still want to fill the position they have chosen not to communicate anything until they have a better picture.

This was just one of many possible scenarios but there is nothing you can do about it except to assume that you didnt actually do anything wrong and then move on to finding another option.
PG

Postby V » Tue Nov 06, 2012 9:11 am

The actual position is advertised since 10 months. Are positions advertised for so long?
V

Postby PG » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:24 am

Anything can happen especially with a large company and also in a situation in which something is unclear at the company. We usually aim for advertising positions only during a couple of weeks due to that we want to be fast but as I said lots of things can happen.

My main point was that without more information (which it seem unlikely that you will receive) you cant say that you did anything wrong and instead you have to assume that something came up within the company that resulted in the current situation.
PG

Postby Ana » Tue Nov 06, 2012 10:44 am

V wrote:The actual position is advertised since 10 months. Are positions advertised for so long?

I've seen this happen. You would not usually keep a position open and advertised for so long so this often means the selection process is running into troubles. They might be not finding a suitable candidate (or not agreeing on a suitable candidate) so they get back to interview more people before extending an offer.
Ana

Postby V » Thu Nov 08, 2012 9:38 am

There was a phone conversation, and emails. No meeting in all of this.

Thanks for your precious replies.
V

Return to Science Careers Forum