Subscribe

Forum

overdressed for success?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

overdressed for success?

Postby Mathew » Wed Nov 07, 2012 10:28 am

I was recently interviewed for an academic position in a European Lab. At dinner, the previous night, the search committee head told me that it is a relaxed and informal meeting-I was dressed in my suit pants with a tie. At the interview, I was in my suit and tie while the other male candidates (yes, all candidates were invited to give talks on the same day) did not even bother to shave or get out of their tees. While I did not get the position, do looks matter? Did I come out a pompous ass?
Mathew

Re: overdressed for success?

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:13 am

I would love to hear our Euro advisers views on this. To me, my guess is that it was some other issue that was the problem. Perhaps someone else was just a better fit for the job? In most cases, you can overdress by one notch up and have no ill effects, only positives. Perhaps a turtleneck and a sport coat would have been better than the full suit and tie, but I still don't think you'd lose an opportunity over that . . .

Dave
“The world isn't fair, Calvin."
"I know Dad, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?”
― Bill Watterson, The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Chris » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:19 am

Also, I'd note that it's very easy to step down a few notches in this situation. You're the only one at dinner in a tie and suit? Take off the coat and tie! Now you're just wearing nice slacks and a button-down shirt.

I agree with Dave that this is unlikely to be the problem.
Chris

Postby Mathew » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:39 am

Hi Dave and Chris

Thanks for the input. Chris, I did think of yanking off the tie, but I was afraid of doing it without grabbing everyone's attention and becoming the topic of discussion. Perhaps, I could have done it in a subtle manner. Also, I do agree that other factors were at play in job success but my impression is that the Europeans do not pay much attention to the attire!
Mathew

Postby Ana » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:08 pm

Hi Mathiew,

I don't think overdressing could ever be a factor for deciding who to offer a position to. Underdressing could, as it gives the (perhaps wrong) impression that you are not too serious about the job.

About your last comment I feel I need to point out that "Europeans" are a bunch of different guys from different countries, languages and cultures. I work in industry and to give you an example in my department we wear jeans (we are in discovery), the in vivo people dress up a bit more and the translational guys look like business people (with exceptions). And this is within the same division of the same company in the same country. I would still expect people to dress up a bit for interviews, though.

In the academic labs that I've seen there is also a mix, with some PIs dressing business-like and some quite informal. Even in academia in most cases people "dressed for interviews", as you describe. Was it a faculty-type position or a postdoc one? I could see many postdocs no bothering to shave.

Now the strange part is what you say about inviting all candidates to give talks. That is something I had never seen!
Ana

Postby Mathew » Wed Nov 07, 2012 2:19 pm

Ana
thanks. yes, it seems that recruitment was combined with an annual talk series. New concept to me? yes and it was a good venue to mingle and learn from other candidates.
Mathew

Postby AX » Wed Nov 07, 2012 7:45 pm

Hi
I am from Europe and no we do not normally dress in suit and tie there. If you want to impress wear the latest street fashion. Armani Exchange or something like that. In Europe you want to look cool not polished. Go more rough as you go north more Italian (slim shirts) as you go south. Believe me it can take hours to get that "I just woke up and threw on some random clothes, because I'm that cool" look.. Do not mistake their sense of fashion. Good luck.
AX

Postby Matt D. » Wed Nov 07, 2012 11:42 pm

Ana wrote: I work in industry and to give you an example in my department we wear jeans (we are in discovery), the in vivo people dress up a bit more and the translational guys look like business people (with exceptions). And this is within the same division of the same company in the same country.

A little off topic, but you just described the company I work for to a T.
Matt D.

Postby PG » Thu Nov 08, 2012 1:08 am

It depends a bit on the position that you are applying for but I would say that it is unlikely that anyone manages to dress in a way that it would rule you out as a candidate for a position. In short the higher up in the organization that you are applying for a position the hgiher requirement for a more strict dress code. Having said that I would probably go for an interview in a suit without tie (I am currently head of RnD at our site).

However this is very flexible and I wouldnt rule anyone out that comes in a tie even for a researcher position although we would try to get some more information about that persons personallity. For an entry level position underdressing is probably also rather hard to achieve.
PG

Postby Mathew » Thu Nov 08, 2012 11:04 am

Ana, sorry it was for an academic PI position.
Mathew

Return to Science Careers Forum