Subscribe

Forum

Addressing the selection criteria?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Addressing the selection criteria?

Postby S.P.J. » Sat Nov 10, 2012 3:54 am

Hi all,

I know this may be a long shot as it may be somewhat location specific, but any advice would be welcome.

Let me just say that I am in Australia so I'm not really sure how this affects the job application process, many things seem to be similar to that in the UK where I am from but I think there are some differences. I am applying for research jobs and it seems that a major factor in the application is the inclusion of a 'Statement Addressing the Selection Criteria' as well as a CV/resume and cover letter. My understanding is that the usual approach is to put the criteria as bold headings and under each one a paragraph or two saying how you meet each one.

I have seen posts on here before saying that often it is OK if an applicant meets say 70% of the criteria but does not meet a couple of them, but how do I address this if I have to provide a written statement for each showing how I meet that criterion?

With regard to the headings format of the statement document what do I do, just leave that bit blank (which would look pretty rubbish), delete it and hope no-one notices (!) or try to fill it in with some related experience that is tenuously linked to what they're actually looking for or shows that I could learn that aspect of the job?

As I said I'm not sure if this applies in all countries, not had to do it in this formal way in the UK but rather included the information in my CV/cover letter but this seems to be fairly common here from what I've seen so any help or advice would be very much appreciated, thanks.
S.P.J.

Return to Science Careers Forum