Subscribe

Forum

Research Statement - Funding Non-R1 Research

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Research Statement - Funding Non-R1 Research

Postby J.Trevino » Mon Nov 12, 2012 10:54 am

Good day everyone,

I am currently applying for academic jobs in physics and engineering departments at non-R1 universities. Most of my preferred positions are at small state universities or private institutions where the focus is on teaching; however there is a component of research that is expected.
My question is in regard to funding sources for these types of smaller research activities. In conceptualizing what my research would look like, I can see relying heavily on nearby larger university facilities as it would be impossible to build a large scale lab at one of these schools.

My research experiences and interests are in nano-photonics and photonic materials, with applications to energy (solar) and biosensing. I am currently working on my research statement and would like to add a few possible funding agencies/sources that I would pursue which fund smaller projects.

As this is my first time investing funding resources on my own, I was wondering if anyone might have any suggestions on where to look. I am familiar with NSF, DOE, and others however these are typically large grants that only R1 universities compete for.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much for your time.

Regards,
Jacob
J.Trevino

Re: Research Statement - Funding Non-R1 Research

Postby MSR » Mon Nov 12, 2012 11:38 am

NSF has the RUI program and NIH has the R15 AREA program that provide grants for faculty at schools that are predominately undergraduate level. Eligibility is based on the number of Ph.D. degrees granted by the institution.
MSR

Re: Research Statement - Funding Non-R1 Research

Postby J.Trevino » Mon Nov 12, 2012 2:55 pm

MSR,

Thank you for your reply. Those are exactly the types of program I was looking for.
J.Trevino

Return to Science Careers Forum