Subscribe

Forum

Application process question

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Application process question

Postby RSD » Tue Nov 13, 2012 8:04 pm

Hello all,

I have lurked here for some time, and absorbed much useful information.

I have a specific question that I was hoping to get some opinions on, and hopefully the scenario will prove useful to others as well. Here it is:

I have been in my postdoc for 14 months. I have been networking, etc., and have an eye on the local biotech/pharma job market as that is where I want to work in my next position. Recently, a job has opened up (posted online) that fits my experience and career goals well. The problem is, I have no networking contacts at that company. So here is the question:

Without any network contacts in place, is there any way to get a leg up on the competition? Can one call the company, dig around on Linkedin, or otherwise get some inside contacts that might increase the chances of getting a CV/resume in front of a decision maker? Am I doomed to submit my application to the internet black hole?

Thanks for the help, and I'll try to respond back in a timely manner.
RSD

Re: Application process question

Postby Priya.S » Wed Nov 14, 2012 12:17 pm

You will certainly not be 'doomed' if you apply online; however, the best way and probably the best shot for your CV to be considered is to somehow get it into the hands of the hiring manager. Secondly, only applying yo online job positings is not considered the most effective strategy though it does work for some, the chances are very slim. You will need to network. This is what I have done in the past to locate some information regarding a position that interests me.
1) Try to ask your current contacts if they know anyone in that company. Contact this person and go from there.
2) Use linked in and try to establish new connections and reach out to them. Also, as a side note, if you have a linked in account, make sure it is professional and up-to-date. Some of the potential employers do look at your linked In profile. Mine did.
3) Do you have a career center or a postdoc association in your university? I would recommend that you should check out these places too.
Ideally, this should not be done in the last minute, when you are wanting to apply for a job. You should be networking whenever you have an opportunity and also continue to stay in touch with the contacts you currently have.
I am sure you will receive valuable advice here like many of us have in the past. Good luck.
Priya.S

Postby Ana » Thu Nov 15, 2012 2:59 am

Finding some relevant contact through LinkedIn is a good idea, just be careful what you tell them when they connect with you. I would not go with "Hi, here is my CV, can you give it to the hiring manager?", your goal should be to learn more about the department/company from that contact. Same thing for any other conact you might get through friends or other contacts. It is about learning about their work, the company and the opportunities there. I would not call the company (who? the receptionist?)

And you are not 'doomed' if you apply online.
Ana

Postby PG » Fri Nov 16, 2012 12:29 am

Depending on company publication policy and how specific the ad is pubmed is sometimes a great source of information that may not only provide you with contact information but also with a reason to contact someone ie "I saw your paper in xxx. I am working within that field and have a couple of questions..."
PG

Postby Ana » Fri Nov 16, 2012 2:11 am

Great advice PG, I've done that myself many times.
Ana

Postby RSD » Mon Nov 19, 2012 1:13 pm

The idea of searching Pubmed is a good one - something I have considered but unfortunately the add is quite vague.

I feel I should add that I am not really actively job searching right now - my postdoc position is fine, and I expect my project to result in some decent publications in a year or two, which would not be an unusual timeline for my field. This opportunity was one that I happened to stumble across that was in my area of expertise, but I expect to truly start job searching in 12-18 months when my resume is a bit stronger.

It sounds like I need to expand my networking efforts - something that I agree cannot be done at the last minute. I ended up applying to the job online anyway. Thanks for the insights and advice.
RSD

Return to Science Careers Forum