Subscribe

Forum

What's your favorite ref manager?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

What's your favorite ref manager?

Postby G.V. » Thu Nov 15, 2012 8:25 am

Looking for the best reference manager that will allow me to cite-as-you-write in word.
Which one would you recommend?
G.V.

Re: What's your favorite ref manager?

Postby H.L.F. » Thu Nov 15, 2012 9:41 am

I use RefWorks. It's pretty good. The refs can be imported directly from the journal or now from Google Scholar. There was one instance when a coworker of mine couldn't automatically get the references into the format the journal wanted so she had modify the refs section by hand. I haven't had any problems with it, though.
H.L.F.

Postby Chris » Thu Nov 15, 2012 1:19 pm

I've always used EndNote. Always as in for the last 15+ years, so I might be a dinosaur and there might be a better program out there. But it works well for me.
Chris

Postby Lydia » Sat Nov 17, 2012 10:33 am

Zotero is free and worked reasonably well for me for the last paper I wrote. It is a Firefox plugin, so your library can travel with you to any computer. You can also share libraries with a group.
Lydia

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Nov 17, 2012 1:09 pm

I've heard Mendeley is another good one, free.

Dave
"I don't care how much you know, until I know how much you care."
Theodore Roosevelt
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby XT » Sat Nov 17, 2012 7:03 pm

I use Endnote. I like Mendeley for keeping track of references but for professional citation in a paper or grant, where you have to format everything JUST the right way, Endnote is good. I still find its interface clunky, but it has improved a lot over the past several years. And you want to use something that your colleagues are using too, for document exchange.
XT

Postby A.Tyrol » Mon Nov 19, 2012 5:04 am

I have tried many different ones, for me Cite U Like is by far the best one hands down. Nothing to download and install, as it's a website it's up-do-date on every computer, and the automatic extraction of bibliographic details works very good. Exports to bibtex which means I can easily integrate it into my latex workflow.

If for some reason I ever want to stop using CUL, I still have all the bibliography which I created over the last 7 years in bibtex format, and can import it into JabRef and what not. I.e. with CUL I am not "locked in" as with many other cloud-type services.

Another very good site for reference management is bibsonomy.
A.Tyrol

Postby RGM » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:59 pm

I've used RefMan and Endnote. I have to say I like RefMan much better. I find Endnote overly simplistic and certain key features are not present in Endnote. However, entering authors is FAR easier in Endnote than RefMan. Unfortunately RefMan isn't updated all too often as Endnote is more popular primarily because it's marketed to undergrads as well
"Some men see things as they are and say why, I dream things that never were and say why not"
"If you think research is expensive, try disease." - Mary Lasker
RGM

Postby Duffy P. » Wed Jan 09, 2013 6:35 am

The latest version of refworks (released 4th january) is full of bugs. Avoid like the plague until they fix it! The formatting in my paper is completely messed up now: every time you add a new citation, any paragraphs with citations become left-aligned even if you previously had them justified, and an extra space gets appended at the end of every existing citation (so now my paper is full of spaces). I think I will switch to endnote next time...
Duffy P.

Return to Science Careers Forum