Subscribe

Forum

Interview tomorrow, a few questions

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: Interview tomorrow, a few questions

Postby P. Lues » Sat Nov 24, 2012 2:15 am

Dave,

you have a lot more experience than me when it comes to careers so i'm not going to argue. You are probably right.

Cheers,
P.
P. Lues

Postby PG » Sat Nov 24, 2012 3:31 am

There are multiple reasons for why you should only use your own answers.

1) You may get follow-up questions and if the first reply wasnt really yours it quickly gets complicated. If your reply sounds like it is prepared the probability of follow-up questions increases

2) A single bad reply to a question during an interiew results in follow-up questions and potentially a small negative. If you give the impression that you are not entirely truthful you are out.

3) The interview is about two things. The company wants to find a new employee that will be a good fit for the position and you want to find a position in which you will enjoy yourself. Sticking to the truth and to your own answers to questions increases the probability for this to happen.
PG

Postby Ben T. » Sat Nov 24, 2012 6:51 pm

Interview went well, but I'm not certain I aced it. Definitely didn't fail it though. Are these mistakes enough to cost me the job?

1. When asked, "Plan to go to graduate school?", I answered truthfully and said, "I have some vague ideas about it, but nothing is definitely certain, and I definitely don't plan to attend within the next 5 years.

2. When asked, "Describe a moral situation and what you did?", I drew a blank for a good 10-15 seconds before coming up with something.

3. I made a small date mistake on my resume, for an academic award I won. When discussing it, I said a different date than the one on the resume (but I'm not sure he noticed).
Ben T.

Postby PG » Sun Nov 25, 2012 3:32 am

1.depends on the person and how they interpreted the answer.

2.Doesnt matter, you didnt know the question in advance and thinking before you answer is usually a good thing

3.even if they noticed noone will care
PG

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum