Subscribe

Forum

What are your future plans?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

What are your future plans?

Postby James Tyler » Wed Nov 21, 2012 8:46 pm

I’ll repeat what I said in another thread first to put things into context:
“I have a BS in microbiology. As an undergraduate, I was a research assistant in an academic lab for 6 months. After I finished undergrad, I attended a Ph.D. program for about 1.5 years and then dropped out without getting any degree. In grad school, I rotated in a bunch of labs and joined a lab very briefly. After I dropped out of grad school, about half a year later (in May 2012), I started working at a company as a research assistant, which is where I am now.”

When an employer asks me what my future plans are, I don’t know how to come up with a good answer. I don’t want to go back to grad school to get a Ph.D. I want to work as a research associate doing hands-on benchwork. In a few phone interviews and one in-person interview, I said that I might want to get a Master’s degree in the future so I can still do hands-on benchwork but do more complex tasks and have more independence. I don’t know if that’s a good explanation, though. On my very first in-person interview, I just said that I want to keep doing research as a research associate and I didn’t get hired for that position.

I’m applying for research associate positions in industry and academia. In my situation, what exactly do employers want to hear when they ask a candidate what their future plans are? What do they not want to hear?
James Tyler

Re: What are your future plans?

Postby P. Lues » Thu Nov 22, 2012 12:15 am

What you said sounds ok. I doubt you didn't get it because of that. That being said, I wouldn't say much about what you don't want to do and don't dwell on dropping out of grad school. You want to emphasize the positive and minimize the negative. I would say something like: "I attended a Ph.D. program for about 1.5 years but it didn't work out because it wasn't the right fit. I started working at a company as a research associate, and realized that I really enjoy doing hands on bench work and I also enjoy working in industry. I might consider doing a masters in the future if I find the right lab (shows that you are interested in expanding and growth). But for now, I want to continue working as a research associate at a company.
P. Lues

Return to Science Careers Forum