Subscribe

Forum

Please Recommend Good Resume Editing Service

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Please Recommend Good Resume Editing Service

Postby J. Williams » Mon Nov 26, 2012 3:51 pm

Hello,
I am in pursuit of new jobs. I have been constantly hearing that these days most of hiring companies would grab their first interested resumes by automatic search of "key words" from resumes uploaded in job seeking sites. Therefore, I would like to convert my resume as sellable as possible. Could you recommend any such Resume Editing Services that you and/or colleagues have successfully utilized? Any other insights re. this subject would be greatly appreciated.

Many Thanks!
J. Williams

Re: Please Recommend Good Resume Editing Service

Postby Rich Lemert » Mon Nov 26, 2012 4:45 pm

If all you're doing is applying through the company's HR web site, then you're right. Companies generally do perform a keyword search to find "qualified" resumes. However, this is generally a "low yield" approach that may - but usually doesn't - lead to a job.

A better approach is to identify the hiring manager and approach him/her directly through an approach called "networking". The effort required to do this may be greater, but the potential return is also much greater. Using this approach you don't need to worry about having "the right keywords" because HR won't be looking for people "with the right credentials"; they'll be contacting you because the hiring manager told them he wants to talk to you.
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Return to Science Careers Forum