Subscribe

Forum

Baffling email one day post-interview

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Baffling email one day post-interview

Postby C. Chang » Tue Nov 27, 2012 1:07 pm

Hey guys, so I'm going to go into a bit of detail explaining the background, because I think it matters.

I applied to a job with a great company that I was truly excited about. ~2 weeks later I get an email from a recruiter from them (not an external staffing agency recruiter) with a couple questions. I put alot of time into answering them well and reply within a few hours with an email. The next morning, I get a call from the recruiter and answer more questions on the phone. ~2 weeks later I get a call to schedule an on-site interview.

They make a mistake, forgetting to send me information about the exact details of the interview. I remind them the day before the interview, they apologize and send me the information.

I have been on ~5 interviews before this (since graduating) with a success rate of 2/5. I learned from previous mistakes, and I know I gave my best performance so far at this interview. I prepared for this interview well, unlike many past ones. I had three interviewers. Based on my own self assessment and from the person's mannerisms/language, I'd rate my performance as 8/10 with the first person, 9/10 with the second, and 7/10 with the third.

In other words, I'm fairly certain I didn't do/say anything that made me totally fail the interview. Also, several things happened by accident that I think have helped me. I did things in the past, that I had on my resume, that (at the time) I didn't think would help much for a science career, but for this particular job and this particular company, I think they demonstrated I have the same values, or share the same goal, as the company.

They give me a timeframe for when to hear back. The earliest part of the timeframe has not arrived yet.

The day after the interview, I decided to send a follow-up email to let them know I'm still interested. I could not find two of my interviewers' emails after searching for a while online (they didn't even have a LinkedIn account). I decided to just call the general company's phone number and see if they could give me the emails.

I get transferred to someone and the person offers to transfer me to one of my interviewer's secretaries to get her email, but suggests waiting until Monday because they may have left for the holidays already. Now here is where I made a slight mistake...

I may have come off as slightly rude when I didn't mean to be. I followed the advice and said, Nevermind then, I'll just call Monday. Thanks bye." and hung up. He was still speaking when I hung up...". I really didn't mean to come off as rude.

The person I spoke to, which I realized immediately after hanging up, was actually one of the two recruiters I interacted with (only to schedule the interview). I could tell by his voice, and he must have known who I was because I said I interviewed yesterday. I have never seen any of the recruiters in person by the way.

Within 30 seconds I get this email from my OTHER recruiter (not the one I just spoke to). This was the recruiter that did the initial phone screening questionnaire. The subject line was "Interview Status".

"Dear Alex,

We sincerely appreciate your interest in applying and participating in the interview process for the job of Research Associate. We encourage you to continue to visit our Career web site and apply for positions that match your qualifications.

In the meantime, please accept our best wishes for continued success in your career endeavors.

Best Regards,

(name of the recruiter)"

What do you guys make of this?
C. Chang

Re: Baffling email one day post-interview

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:02 pm

Hi C.

Way TOO long for most people -- I wonder if you'd do better to shorten, or come back with other questions later . . .

My guess is that you are overanalyzing the interview prospects. It's clear you didn't make the cut. I would suggest you not worry about it and concentrate on bringing new opportunities to the table.

Good luck!

Dave
“The world isn't fair, Calvin."
"I know Dad, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?”
― Bill Watterson, The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby C. Chang » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:09 pm

Yeah, sorry, it is kind of long. My question is this:

"Is this a rejection letter?"

I mean...it looks as if someone took a form rejection letter, copy and pasted it, then removed the sentences saying something like "we will not be proceeding with your application, after careful consideration".

I guess I could just call them to ask, but don't want to come off as annoying, impatient, or insinuate that they can't write clear emails.
C. Chang

Postby Susan H. » Tue Nov 27, 2012 4:20 pm

I don't think that a little impatience from your side on the phone has cost you that job offer. They probably felt that you are desperate to hear their decision and that's why they sent it so quickly. Anyway, you already have other offers as far as I understood from your post. Go with one of these or focus on future opportunities. It's no use crying over spilt milk.
To answer your question: yes, I think that this is a rejection letter.
Susan H.

Postby C. Chang » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:26 pm

I have gotten several opinions...they all said it's a rejection. Am I crazy for not seeing that it is a clearly a rejection? Correct me if I'm wrong, but shouldn't a rejection letter state that the person was rejected?

This letter states, "We encourage you to continue to visit our Career web site and apply for positions that match your qualifications." I should add that I KNOW I'm competing against at least one other person. Possibly they interviewed like 5 other candidates...this sentence alone from him doesn't necessarily show me that I didn't get the job. It could be that they will still be interviewing others, and in case I don't make the cut, start applying for other jobs now. But it is a bit odd thing to say to a strong candidate who is likely to get the job.

The second sentence says, "In the meantime, please accept our best wishes for continued success in your career endeavors." Meantime and continued are slightly odd words for a rejection letter.

I'm having a hard time seeing that this letter means I have no chance, as opposed to it meaning, "You may have a chance. We are still interviewing others and will decide later. Please wait."
C. Chang

Postby R.J.G. » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:33 pm

As somebody who has been rejected... yes, that letter is a rejection. If you don't believe me, I can forward you a list of them from my job search late last year.
R.J.G.

Postby C. Chang » Tue Nov 27, 2012 5:46 pm

R.J.G. wrote:As somebody who has been rejected... yes, that letter is a rejection. If you don't believe me, I can forward you a list of them from my job search late last year.

You know what, if it wouldn't be too much trouble for you, could you please do that?
C. Chang

Postby C. Chang » Tue Nov 27, 2012 6:11 pm

I got a rejection letter once before too. It said this, "Dear My Full Name,

We have reviewed your application for the position of Lab Tech I (location of job) and want to thank you for the interest you demonstrated in (company name). However, after careful consideration, we have decided not to proceed further with your application.

Please continue to review our website for other opportunities that may interest you. We wish you all the best in your future endeavors.

Sincerely Yours,

(Human Resources, Name of company)"

After getting this one, I instantly recognized what it meant. Not so for this email (one in question). In fact, the one in question looks like this except except the first paragraph is removed.
C. Chang

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Nov 27, 2012 7:14 pm

It's clearly a rejection letter for the job you interviewed for. But, they are polite and nice and want to leave the door open in case other positions fit you. It's really quite clear -- back down and don't embarrass yourself with the company.

Dave
“The world isn't fair, Calvin."
"I know Dad, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?”
― Bill Watterson, The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Andrew1 » Tue Nov 27, 2012 11:00 pm

It's a rejection. If it had come 5 minutes after your hang-up it might have been related, but not 30 seconds.
Andrew1

Return to Science Careers Forum