Subscribe

Forum

Resume questions for a lab technician

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Resume questions for a lab technician

Postby C. Chang » Thu Nov 29, 2012 2:53 pm

Hey guys,

For a resume, I have a couple of questions on how to optimize it so it helps me get a lab technician job. I'm a recent college grad with almost no experience.

1. If my typing speed, in WPM, is much higher than average, is it a good idea to put it under my "Computer and laboratory skills" section?

2. Which of these 3 options, to supplement my "Education" section is best:

a. Title the section Relevent Course Projects and highlight like three things I did?
b. Add a bullet point under "Education" that says, "Lab courses taken: list of lab courses".
c. Simple list of upper level science courses I have taken

3. Is one page alright for length?

4. I am a member of one professional organization (American Society for Biochemistry and Molecular Biology). Should I put this on my resume? If so, where's a good place to put it?

Thanks.
C. Chang

Re: Resume questions for a lab technician

Postby Rich Lemert » Thu Nov 29, 2012 5:05 pm

1. Typing is not a major part of a technician's job. Leave it out.

2. Options b) and c) only make sense if you took a class that people in your major generally don't take and that's relevent to the job you're applying for. Option a) gives you a chance to show what you can do - but again, it would probably only be helpful if you did something "above and beyond" what your peers have done.

3. If you're fresh out of school no one expects you to have a long resume. If one page covers your background, go with it.

4. One option is to add an "Extracurricular Activities" section. However, membership by itself isn't going to mean as much as you might think. If you can show some activities associated with that membership, that will do more to strengthen your resume.
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Postby C. Chang » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:23 pm

Thanks for the reply Rich. For #2, do employers really know all that? I recently interviewed for an industry job, and they asked, "What does cum laude, magna cum laud, or summa cum laude mean?".

Even though I have a BS, do employers really know that I've taken lab classes?

Again, I'm searching for an industry job, not academia (where the employers are often professors as well!).

Also, I've taken like 1 or 2 more lab classes than required for my degree.
C. Chang

Postby C. Chang » Sat Dec 01, 2012 2:26 pm

Again, for #2, no, I have done nothing above and beyond what my peers have done except taken an extra lab class or two. I'm just a mediocre candidate looking for a lab tech job but think I'm still good enough to do the job.
C. Chang

Postby PG » Sat Dec 01, 2012 4:26 pm

If we hire someone directly out of school I dont really care about what courses they have taken. I want to know what they learned. What we want them to know is usually obvious for advertised positions and just a little research will tell the candidate what to focus for also for non advertised positions.

My advice would be to highlight relevant skills and knowledge but dont list every course that you have taken.

Listing lots of irrelevant information will only hide the parts that are actually relevant and will not help you. Keep it relevant and let the length be whatever it is. Having said that, if you go above two pages directly out of school you should probably ask someone else to help you determine what is relevant. One page is probably about right.
PG

Postby Rich Lemert » Sat Dec 01, 2012 8:33 pm

C. Chang wrote:I recently interviewed for an industry job, and they asked, "What does cum laude, magna cum laud, or summa cum laude mean?".

Questions like this don't always reflect a lack of knowledge on the part of the person asking it. Sometimes, they're really making sure that you know the answer.
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Return to Science Careers Forum