Subscribe

Forum

searching for a job

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

searching for a job

Postby Andreiar » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:40 am

Hi, My name is Andreia, im new in this forum...

I have a question, Am i doing something wrong?

Because i sent since of this summer alot of mails for many people and companies (i have a excel sheet that i can show it! :))with my resume/cv some one replied (was good) but they answer that dont have any open position, other saying that dont have support (money) and if they receive support they will contact me (i still waiting...), other purpose to me a PhD because i dont have yet, but i dont know... i want work and then think on PhD foward but probably in last resource i will accept one!

I think my places to sent are decreasing because i sent all over the world im from Portugal and i sent even Australia! I dont know where i can find more interesting jobs that i could work perfectly!
Andreiar

Re: searching for a job

Postby PG » Fri Nov 30, 2012 6:12 am

Hi,

I am sorry to hear about your troubles with finding a position and have a couple of comments. The first is that this site is not intended to be used to look for positions and I edited your post to remove that part.

Second, it does sound like you are doing something wrong. Are you sending e-mails as a response to advertised positions or just sending them to PIs and companies within your field of acttivity? Do you have any networking leads to the people you try to contact or is it based on contact information in the advertised position, company website or from somewhere else?
PG

Postby Andreiar » Fri Nov 30, 2012 7:07 am

Hi,

Thanks for the reply and sorry for my post mistake!

Im sending mails responding to advertisimg positions and other way sendimg to them my cv if they intend to open a position ... but its more the second way because i found alot assistant professor position and i dont want to teach (and i dont have PhD more like it :s)
Andreiar

Postby PG » Fri Nov 30, 2012 12:03 pm

Applying for advertised positions generally has a low probability to result in an offered position due to the fact that there is usually a very high number of applicants and also if you are a perfect match for the advertised position it is likely that they have a number of other candidates that are also perfect matches.

Sending CVs to people that you dont know and havent had any other contact with before when they havent advertised a position is also unlikely to result in a position. At least you should try to make contact in some other way before sending an application.

There is a lot of information on this site about networking that can be helpful in pointing you in the right direction.
PG

Return to Science Careers Forum