Subscribe

Forum

worst part of job search is...

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

worst part of job search is...

Postby E. Johnson » Fri Nov 30, 2012 1:14 pm

Hello all.
I have been reading the posts where people have been trying to read meaning into e-mails from potential employers and they are left scratching their heads as to if they are actually rejected for the position. That's not fun.

So, people out there... what's the worst part of the job search for you?

I'm going to say for me it's having to lie to my current co-workers about going to interviews because my husband is seeking better employment and using my vacation time to do so. I like my job and I'd like to use my vacation for more pleasurable experiences.

Secondly, waiting and waiting for responses. I do an initial screening for a position, then wait to hear for the phone interview, do the phone interview, wait for the onsite interview, then wait for the final verdict of if I'll get an offer.
E. Johnson

Re: worst part of job search is...

Postby Chris » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:25 pm

For me, hands down, it's the waiting!

Misleading co-workers is a close second, though. It still pains me to think that co-workers from my previous position might have negative thoughts about me because I left. I really enjoyed working with them and have nothing but positive memories of my time there.
Chris

Postby R.S.D. » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:39 pm

For me, the long period of uncertainty. I'm in academia, and I spent 2 years looking for my first faculty position, and the uncertainty my job search created was especially hard on my spouse, who had a junior faculty position the same place where I was a postdoc. We knew we were moving on because I could not secure a faculty position there, but the uncertainty that comes with a dual search was nerve-wracking. Also, unlike the other posters, we could not hide our search so everyone knew we were leaving, and that made my husband's job difficult at times.
R.S.D.

Postby Priya.S » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:34 am

Hi everyone:

I totally hate the waiting period. I simply go nuts with the self scrutiny during the waiting period (should have answered this better, or may be missed out an important point..). It's just painful!

I am going for another interview next week. Not looking forward to this part at all.
Priya.S

Postby Rich Lemert » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:24 pm

Adding to what appears to be a growing consensus - the worst part of job hunting when you're unemployed is the uncertainty. I believe there are two aspects to this:

1) "External" uncertainty - dealing with the program you've applied to. Did they like me? Who else are they seeing? When will they reply? Are they even go to reply in the first place?

2) "Internal" uncertainly - your internal self-doubts. Do I have a good resume? Should I have made a comment about 'X'? Did I say too much when I talked about 'Y'? Was I over/under dressed?

The latter are probably harder to deal with than the former.
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Postby Ana » Fri Dec 07, 2012 3:27 pm

My answer is the same, it is the uncertainty, and I don't think I could have explained it better than Rich did.
Ana

Postby RGM » Sat Dec 29, 2012 7:54 pm

1. Being told I didn't have "previous industry experience" especially from people who had less experience than myself when they first started looking after their degree. The classic one I remember was from some idiot who said to me quite arrogantly, "well what makes you think you can do this position?"
"Some men see things as they are and say why, I dream things that never were and say why not"
"If you think research is expensive, try disease." - Mary Lasker
RGM

Postby Dave Jensen » Sun Dec 30, 2012 6:55 pm

RGM wrote:1. Being told I didn't have "previous industry experience" especially from people who had less experience than myself when they first started looking after their degree. The classic one I remember was from some idiot who said to me quite arrogantly, "well what makes you think you can do this position?"

That is so typical of the inexperienced interviewer. All the "hard ball" questions seem to come from the jerks. You need to remember that they are just as uncomfortable with the process as you are, and they ask these kinds of questions as a positioning ploy.

Just move past it. They may have a vote, but it won't be the deciding one,

Dave
“The world isn't fair, Calvin."
"I know Dad, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?”
― Bill Watterson, The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby RGM » Tue Jan 01, 2013 10:02 pm

Thanks Dave, what do you mean by it was a positioning ploy? To catch me off guard or something during the interview?
"Some men see things as they are and say why, I dream things that never were and say why not"
"If you think research is expensive, try disease." - Mary Lasker
RGM

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:04 pm

RGM wrote:Thanks Dave, what do you mean by it was a positioning ploy? To catch me off guard or something during the interview?

No, I believe the junior interviewer feels the need to ask a few "hard ball" questions like this one in order to establish the pecking order in the room. He or she is the person doing the interviewing. They are uncomfortable, you are uncomfortable, and the way they set up the hour or whatever is to ask a tough one; for example, to say "I'm the boss here."

Dave
“The world isn't fair, Calvin."
"I know Dad, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?”
― Bill Watterson, The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Science Careers Forum