Subscribe

Forum

worst part of job search is...

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Re: worst part of job search is...

Postby V » Wed Jan 02, 2013 12:37 pm

high school teachers, high school principals, edited, and HR people- they have this thing (and many others) in common.
Last edited by V on Tue Jan 08, 2013 8:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
V

Postby E. Johnson » Thu Jan 03, 2013 12:50 pm

It's the same person who has the pointed questions during your talk. My spouse did an interview some time ago where the person who used to have the job was on the interview panel. We can assume that this person did not like that they were no longer in that position or thought no one was good enough to fill his shoes.
E. Johnson

Postby Duffy P. » Thu Jan 03, 2013 4:25 pm

The worst part for me is getting a series of rejection letters. Especially the ones that don't let you know until months after the application deadline or interview date (I work in a small field so I often know who has been invited for interview and when the interview date was). Or letters which start with "Dear candidate" and are grossly impersonal - is it really so difficult for the admin to put my name at the top of an email? Not good for one's motivation and self-esteem.
Duffy P.

Postby RGM » Fri Jan 04, 2013 2:03 am

Got it..thanks!
"Some men see things as they are and say why, I dream things that never were and say why not"
"If you think research is expensive, try disease." - Mary Lasker
RGM

Postby BQU » Wed Jan 23, 2013 5:17 pm

I agree with the many comments regarding the waiting periods, especially with several rounds of interviews, but I wanted to add one of my own pet peeves:

Horrendous websites that ask you to create an account and upload your resume in word .DOC format only to have some script make a feeble attempt at parsing through the resume with very little accuracy. This means you have to essentially re-enter all of the information again in the forms on their website.

I actually wish you could still "snail mail" in a nice-looking printed resume and cover letter. Why bother formatting such nice looking resumes for appearance when they end up as plain text anyway?

I assume this is one of many steps by HR to avoid receiving massive numbers of resumes (if it were as easy as uploading a file) and make their lives easier by standardizing the information, but I still find it very annoying :-)
BQU

Postby Rick Willis » Thu Jan 24, 2013 9:54 am

BQU wrote:Horrendous websites that ask you to create an account and upload your resume in word .DOC format only to have some script make a feeble attempt at parsing through the resume with very little accuracy. This means you have to essentially re-enter all of the information again in the forms on their website.

This is why you need to network and get your resume to the hiring manager. Having hired a few people, I can tell you that dealing with the other end of those websites is just as horrendous. I'm much more likely to pay attention to someone whose resume comes to me directly, or through a colleague.

Rick
Rick Willis

Postby BQU » Thu Jan 24, 2013 10:09 am

Rick Willis wrote:
This is why you need to network and get your resume to the hiring manager. Having hired a few people, I can tell you that dealing with the other end of those websites is just as horrendous. I'm much more likely to pay attention to someone whose resume comes to me directly, or through a colleague.

Rick

I agree, and have learned that very valuable lesson several times over from this site and others.

However I did have one company where despite a networking "in", I was told that the company still requires folks to go apply via the website first. This INCLUDED internal hires from people already in the company! Fun fun fun! I guess the HR policies vary from company to company.
BQU

Previous

Return to Science Careers Forum