Subscribe

Forum

Best part of the job search?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Best part of the job search?

Postby Chris » Fri Nov 30, 2012 2:22 pm

I am in an extraordinarily good mood today, so I thought I'd post the correlate to E Johnson's topic on the worst things about a job search. I'm fortunate enough to have been in a job I love for ~5 years now, so I'm NOT searching. But there are a few things about a job search that I miss.

1. The chance to imagine a different future for yourself. When you're applying for jobs, there's the possibility that you could end up anywhere in the country, or even in another country. That is always exciting to me.

2. The chance to meet a bunch of different people and see how different organizations do things. Sure, interviewing is stressful. But it can also be fun.

3. The chance to reimagine yourself and make changes you otherwise wouldn't. Not to say that you can't make significant personal changes or push yourself in your current position, but it's much harder.

Go contribute to E's thread and then come back and join my Pollyanna bandwagon!
Chris

Re: Best part of the job search?

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Nov 30, 2012 3:29 pm

I'm with you, Chris!

I think it's really invigorating to jump into something "scary" and eventually come out on top. What a great feeling -- like knowing you can do ANYTHING you set your heart on!

Dave
“The world isn't fair, Calvin."
"I know Dad, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?”
― Bill Watterson, The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby E. Johnson » Fri Nov 30, 2012 5:16 pm

Good idea on positive job searching!

For me the most exciting part of a new position is that there is a 99% chance that I won't be living where I am now. In my career, I've only moved once and I really want to know what's out there and live in another area.

Next, I really feel that what I'm doing now is not really a good use of my strengths and education. I'm not really someone who has a calling in life to do a certain area of research for a living but if I was more engaged that would decrease the frustration level in my job.

Finally, I really want my spouse to be happy. It would be great if both of us were in jobs that were up to our potential and fairly compensated accordingly.
E. Johnson

Postby P. Lues » Fri Nov 30, 2012 11:01 pm

The best part of a new job is the opportunity to move up. Almost everyone I know who has changed job has ended up in a better position at their new company (even the ones who were forced to look due to lay offs).
P. Lues

Postby Priya.S » Mon Dec 03, 2012 11:36 am

The best part for me is the novelty- new place, structure, colleagues, role/responsibility and growth; the introspection; and the excitement of meeting lots of people and building contacts.
Priya.S

Postby Rich Lemert » Mon Dec 03, 2012 12:15 pm

There are three things that I usually enjoyed about the job search process - all related to the on-site interview.

1) The chance to travel. I'm one of those crazy people that still enjoys flying places.

3) The chance to see new places. There are several places that I've only been to once, and then only because I had an interview there. (Some of these places were pretty remote because my undergraduate work was related to the mining industry. In that industry you often have to go where the mine is, and those don't tend to be located in major metropolises.)

3) The interview dinner, either the night before or the night after the interview. I've had a couple of fantastic meals during interview trips. One was at a seafood place in Old Mystic, Connecticutt. The other was a South American place SE of Houston that had an apricot-flavored dessert that was so rich you risked glycemic shock just looking at it - but was oh-so-delicious.
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Return to Science Careers Forum