Subscribe

Forum

When Does a Skill Become a CV Bullet Point?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

When Does a Skill Become a CV Bullet Point?

Postby David Taylor » Thu Dec 06, 2012 10:22 am

Just looking for some feedback from our forum hiring managers. In your opinion, when does a skill become a bullet point for a job seeker's CV?

For example, a grad student may have used a kit to clone a gene, but does that mean he or she should state on a CV that "Molecular Biology" is a skill?

Some may argue that skills listed on a CV should be more specific than that. But does listing a simple skill such as "Transformation" seem too basic to toss on a CV?

All comments are welcome!
David Taylor

Re: When Does a Skill Become a CV Bullet Point?

Postby PG » Thu Dec 06, 2012 12:19 pm

I would highly recomend going into more detail on skills related to the actual position. Skills not directly related to the position might be bullets. I am exaggerating slightly but the problem with bullets is that some people make a bullet of something that they viewed someone else perform at one occasion during their first year at the university while others makes a bullet of something that they have been working with during the last 5 years.

For me that means that if I am looking for someone with a key skill and they only listed it as a bullet they end up in the no thank you pile. I just dont have the time to send an e-mail to everyone with a bullet and ask them to specify what skills they actually have.
PG

Re: When Does a Skill Become a CV Bullet Point?

Postby Ana » Fri Dec 07, 2012 2:59 pm

I think a bullet point has little meaning as you just discussed. I would recommend having a more detailed explanation of what was achieved through those techniques and staying away from bullet points or lists of techniques.
Ana

Return to Science Careers Forum