Subscribe

Forum

What is Clinical Affairs?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

What is Clinical Affairs?

Postby S. Brian » Fri Dec 07, 2012 9:16 am

Hi,

I've seen this title most often associated with device manufacturers. Am I right in thinking that Clinical Affairs is synonymous with Regulatory Affairs? Or, is the former term more specific to the device industry and the latter, perhaps, more related to pharma?

Related to this question, is it commonplace for people with regulatory affairs responsibilities to move between pharmaceuticals (drugs) and devices, or is the relevant knowledge highly industry-specific? It seems (from LinkedIn) that many working in Clinical Affairs do not hold PhDs.

Thank you.
S. Brian

Re: What is Clinical Affairs?

Postby PG » Fri Dec 07, 2012 5:16 pm

Clinical affairs and regulatory affairs are different but are sometimes performed by the same person which means that there is some overlap.

Clinical affairs usually means someone who is working with clinical studies in some form while regulatory affairs means working with authorities such as the FDA.

Sometimes these are combined into a single position and sometimes not. Clinical affairs often does not require a PhD but specialized training that is often provided by the company after employment.
PG

Postby S. Brian » Mon Dec 10, 2012 8:37 am

PG wrote:Clinical affairs and regulatory affairs are different but are sometimes performed by the same person which means that there is some overlap.

Clinical affairs usually means someone who is working with clinical studies in some form while regulatory affairs means working with authorities such as the FDA.

Sometimes these are combined into a single position and sometimes not. Clinical affairs often does not require a PhD but specialized training that is often provided by the company after employment.

Thanks PG. Do you know if people commonly move between roles the devices and pharma industries within regulatory affairs roles?
S. Brian

Postby PG » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:42 pm

I have seen people with senior positions in either clinical or regulatory move to the other type of positions and I have seen people move from Pharma to devices. So far I have not seen anyone move from devices to pharma (note that I am not saying that it cant happen just that I havent seen it).
PG

Return to Science Careers Forum