Subscribe

Forum

Order of authors in publications listed on LinkedIn

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Order of authors in publications listed on LinkedIn

Postby Susan H. » Tue Dec 11, 2012 2:54 pm

I have noticed that there are people who post their publications on LinkedIn and put their own name first in the author list no matter what their true position is. I think that this is extremely annoying. It is misleading and unacceptable, like cheating. But I wonder if there is a convention for LinkedIn I am not aware of. I feel bad having to compete with people who by all means try to look better than they really are. Has anybody experienced s.th. similar and how do you deal with this?
Susan H.

Re: Order of authors in publications listed on LinkedIn

Postby Rich Lemert » Tue Dec 11, 2012 3:54 pm

Personally, I wouldn't lose a lot of sleep over this. For one thing, you have no control over what someone else does with their profile. Also, this is going to be one of the easiest things for a hiring manager to confirm - and I suspect that many already discount what they see on social media sites because of their self-promotional aspects.
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Postby S. Brian » Tue Dec 11, 2012 5:44 pm

Hi Susan,

I too have noticed this - for a while I felt very inferiour to some individuals!

Personally, on my LinkedIn profile I include only a link to this website (publicationslist.org). I use this great free service to keep an up to date list of my peer reviewed and non-peer reviewed articles, grants and theses. Similarly, on my CV I write out the bibliography for my peer reviewed publications but I include this website link as a source for all other publications, thus saving space.
S. Brian

Postby BGK » Wed Dec 12, 2012 12:38 am

LinkedIn automatically puts your name first in the author list. This is by default, you don't even enter your own name. I have seen one profile where someone put "(first)" next to the actual first authors in the publication list. They did that by attaching that designation to those authors' names.
BGK

Postby Susan H. » Thu Dec 13, 2012 4:11 pm

Thanks everybody for their input. So it is LinkedIn specific.
Still, I find that it's weird.
Susan H.

Postby Ana » Fri Dec 14, 2012 12:50 pm

I had seen it in some contacts that filled up their publication list and I thought they had chosen to put themselves first (which I found questionable). I didn't know it was done by default. That was an interesting clarification.
Ana

Return to Science Careers Forum