Subscribe

Forum

left out of authorship

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

left out of authorship

Postby M. Leon » Sat Dec 15, 2012 5:49 pm

Hello,

This is my first time posting and I am wondering if I could get some advice. I worked as a researcher at a laboratory and left on bad terms with the PI. He emailed two months later saying that I would be a co-author on a paper that he was working on. Fortunately, I am in a better position and place in life and I never replied back. The lab was an incredibly difficult and an abusive environment beyond words with a high turnover of people. The paper came out and I was not included as author, even though the paper used the work that I did. Is there any way to resolve this issue? Also I'm wondering if there is a protocol of getting listed as an author after publication? What is the best possible way to proceed, if any, or should I just drop this matter?
Last edited by M. Leon on Sun Dec 16, 2012 2:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
M. Leon

Re: left out of authorship

Postby Rich Lemert » Sat Dec 15, 2012 8:00 pm

As far as I'm concerned, that ship has sailed - and you chose not to be on it. The PI attempted to reach out to you in order to be able to include you in the author list, but you effectively declined that offer. Anything you do now to get credit is going to sound like sour grapes, and to what end. The journal might issue a correction in a later issue, but most people are going to think of the paper with its original author list.
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Re: left out of authorship

Postby PACN » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:03 pm

You may be able to get a correction, but it is likely that it will involve dealing with your former boss. Even if you go straight to the journal that published the paper, they will need the current authors to agree to any correction. Yes, you should have been an author, but you should have responded to the PI when he/she tried to contact you. The PI probably could not include you as an author if he/she could not get in touch with you, as you would need to state that you agree with the contents, sign licensing forms, etc. If you cannot or do not want to be involved in any way with your former PI, there is no way to co-author papers with that person.
PACN

Return to Science Careers Forum