Subscribe

Forum

Advice Please! Am I going down the right career path?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Advice Please! Am I going down the right career path?

Postby E. Webb » Wed Dec 19, 2012 1:31 pm

Hello Sorry for the long post but....
I came on this forum looking for advice from pharmaceutical/ biotech professionals who have been in the industry for awhile. I have been in the pharmaceutical industry for seven years now and I have discovered what I like and don't like when it comes to my career. For the past three years I have had a desk job and realized that I want to get back into a GMP/GLP lab settings and am currently looking for those type of career opportunites. Recently I have been accepted a position as a medical technologist predomintly doing molecular biology testing (haven't accepted it yet). I'm excited because I'm currently in graduate school to get my M.S. in molecular biology so I figured that this position would be good, but I am also concerned because I don't know if a medical technologist position will hinder me from my ultimate goal of becoming a molecular pharmacologist. Will this position be a stepping stone for my utlimate goal? What positions should I look for or what additional skills should I try to acquire? Any Suggestions? Input? Advice?

Thanks
E. Webb

Re: Advice Please! Am I going down the right career path?

Postby P.C. » Thu Dec 20, 2012 6:19 am

I thought the job title medical technologist was reserved for persons with a four year degree and certification in medical technology. What state or country are you in? Further, I thought med techs worked mainly in health care settings versus manufacturing or R & D, which seem more consistant with your stated goals of working in cGMP/cGLP settings. If you wanted to be a pharmacologist, I thought that means enrolling in a PhD program, not a MS molecular bio program...so taking a full time job seems to delay your apparent goal.
"You know I'm temperamental." "Yeah, 95% temper, 5% mental." - "Curly" & Moe Horwitz
P.C.

Postby E. Webb » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:20 am

Hello. I live in the United States and Medical Technologist can have a four year degree OR certification in medical technology. I looked it up because I thought you had to have both too, but I think it depends on the position. Also I have actually seen a few pharmacologist positions in my area that require MS degrees with X amount of experience or Ph.D degrees and I am already working full time and going to school part time so eventually I'll get to my goal. I guess it seems that if I take this medical technologist position than it would just open up more doors into a healthcare setting and I don't know if I am interested in that? So..what type of positions should I look for or what additional skills should I try to acquire (besides the education) that would help me become a molecular pharmacologist?
E. Webb

Postby P.C. » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:25 pm

If you qualify for a Medical Technologist position, I would suggest sticking with that. There are plenty of lab based positions and room for advancement later in your life, and career. Another consideration is that medical technologists are in a better place, job security wise than R and D, or research personnel, in my opinion. There are also options for genetics, metabolomics and molecular work, at a better salary and benefit level.
"You know I'm temperamental." "Yeah, 95% temper, 5% mental." - "Curly" & Moe Horwitz
P.C.

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:17 pm

E. Webb wrote:Hello Sorry for the long post but....
I came on this forum looking for advice from pharmaceutical/ biotech professionals who have been in the industry for awhile. I have been in the pharmaceutical industry for seven years now and I have discovered what I like and don't like when it comes to my career. For the past three years I have had a desk job and realized that I want to get back into a GMP/GLP lab settings and am currently looking for those type of career opportunites. Recently I have been accepted a position as a medical technologist predomintly doing molecular biology testing (haven't accepted it yet). I'm excited because I'm currently in graduate school to get my M.S. in molecular biology so I figured that this position would be good, but I am also concerned because I don't know if a medical technologist position will hinder me from my ultimate goal of becoming a molecular pharmacologist. Will this position be a stepping stone for my utlimate goal? What positions should I look for or what additional skills should I try to acquire? Any Suggestions? Input? Advice?

Thanks

Hello E.

Any position in a company, and it sounds like that's where you'd be working, will advance your goals. You'll find that having this experience, which will be considered "real world" will combine nicely with your graduate work and you'll have an easier eventual job search than the person who has only their graduate work behind them.

Good luck and let us know how it works out!

Dave Jensen, Moderator
“The world isn't fair, Calvin."
"I know Dad, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?”
― Bill Watterson, The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum