Subscribe

Forum

Funded position vs own fellowship for a cool project

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Funded position vs own fellowship for a cool project

Postby M. Smith » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:57 am

Hi there,

Would really appreciate some advice. Been a postdoc for a bit over 1 year and decided to change now (long story and not really relevant to topic). Because of my skills a lot of groups are very interested in me and I get a reply every time I write to someone. I have a kind of complicated choice to make now. A big name in the field offered me to work on a subject that is very close to my heart and something I did as a "secret" side-project during my PhD (although now in a different model organism). If I would put all my time and attention to it I could push it forward very fast as I have the necessary background. The potential outcome could be very influential for the whole field. However, he doesn't have money to hire me and I should apply for my own fellowship. Hence I can only change my lab in no earlier than half a years time. In addition, by going this route I would take the risk of finding money as the competition is tough. From my PhD I have a 1st author paper in a 15 IF journal and another in 10 IF journal, plus a few smaller papers.

Another group is offering me a 3y funded position. While the topic is interesting I know less about it and cannot get as excited as with the other option. It is a smaller lab, started about 4 y ago. On the plus side is financial security. I can still apply for fellowships when the salary is running and I can change the lab almost immediately.
M. Smith

Return to Science Careers Forum