Subscribe

Forum

how will be Biotech industry in 2013

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

how will be Biotech industry in 2013

Postby Abbu » Tue Dec 25, 2012 2:39 pm

How will be the biotech industry in USA in 2013? do biotech invest more in R&D ? will there be more jobs openings ifor PhD's in 2013? any guess from experts?
Abbu

Re: how will be Biotech industry in 2013

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:01 pm

Hello Abbu,

Right now, there's a great deal of financial uncertainty in the markets. As you may be aware if you are following the news, there's a potential for more years of recession if the two branches of Government can't work out a compromise. Seems crazy that they can't, but that's a story for another forum.

With regards to scientific jobs, there is a great deal of money "waiting" to come into the biotech industry in the USA. Investors WANT to risk their money -- they just need to be comfortable about where they are with regards to taxes and other obligations. My guess, however, is that there will not be any further shrinking of venture money. My guess is that it will grow in 2013, even if there's a "cliff" that we fall over financially. This will mean there will be more biotech jobs in 2013, but no one can forecast much more than that. And even that general statement may be because I am more of an optimist than some others!

It's interesting to note, however, that our company (a recruiting firm working with these businesses and others in the life sciences) is considerably ahead of the last two years. Even though the business climate has been terrible, there are people hiring and there is a great deal of growth from smaller ventures. The difficulty for our readers at the Forum is that the hiring, while definitely on an upswing, is so much more selective than in the past. It is actually harder to move from academia to industry because companies are VERY cautious about being burned by hiring the wrong person. You've got to show a very tight focus on something of interest to industry to be employed now in an entry-level capacity.

Dave Jensen
“The world isn't fair, Calvin."
"I know Dad, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?”
― Bill Watterson, The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby R.J.G. » Thu Dec 27, 2012 6:52 pm

Thanks for those comments Dave... very interesting perspective.

I know that in the new year I'll be paying attention to see if some of the VC money that has been playing the social media game over the last several years swings into biotech following some of the disappointing IPOs last year in that market.
R.J.G.

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Dec 28, 2012 12:23 am

R.J.G. wrote:Thanks for those comments Dave... very interesting perspective.

I know that in the new year I'll be paying attention to see if some of the VC money that has been playing the social media game over the last several years swings into biotech following some of the disappointing IPOs last year in that market.

It's much more complicated than just saying "biotech" . . . that's part of the problem. There are so many little niche's for companies, and they are in many cases not even similar to each other.

One niche that has been "poised" for dramatic growth is the bio-energy or bio-based chemical arena -- perhaps making valuable products like fuels or specialty chemicals out of waste materials like cellulose and so forth. When there are public disappointments (here, a couple of companies gave poor results and had layoffs, etc) it affects that entire niche.

I'm excited by so many young ventures that I've seen, worked with, or just read about. But, the money doesn't always flow uniformly across the world of biotech. It's such a big word.

Dave
“The world isn't fair, Calvin."
"I know Dad, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?”
― Bill Watterson, The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby E. Johnson » Fri Dec 28, 2012 9:20 am

Just based on personal experience, Dave is correct in that employers are selective to a frustrating degree. The director position I report to has been open for over a year because my company cannot find the wow (walks on water) candidate that I'm convinced does not exist.

On my own job search which is only happening because my husband is underemployed, has been similar in the "wow" approach. Employers just don't fill positions unless they find Mr. or Ms. Perfect. The financial uncertainty has absolutely not helped this either as it is just another excuse to drag a search out longer or not fill the position. If the cliff is not averted (or worse yet, postponed), I don't expect to hear back from companies that I am in the recruiting process with until Feb and I've been speaking with three of them for several months.
E. Johnson

Return to Science Careers Forum