Subscribe

Forum

Press inquiry re: STEM PhD, post-doc jobs & careers

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Press inquiry re: STEM PhD, post-doc jobs & careers

Postby DRR » Tue Jan 15, 2013 1:36 pm

Hello,

'm a reporter with a television news magazine working on a story about the overproduction of science PhDs and the causes /implications of the current system of scientific training and funding.

I would very much like the chance to talk to science PhDs & post-doc researchers -- current or former -- to get a better sense of the challenges and opportunities you're facing in your work & career -- ie wages/working conditions, job market, research, funding, job security, career/family balance.

We are also interested in finding a post-doc who might be willing to participate in a on-camera interview/profile to help give civilian viewers a glimpse into "a day in the life of a postdoc" and a better understanding of some of the major challenges and opportunities currently facing future scientists.

Any/all interest, feedback, advice? Please send me a private message and let me know a good way/time to reach you.

Thanks so much in advance for your time & input!
DRR

Re: Press inquiry re: STEM PhD, post-doc jobs & careers

Postby Ana » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:09 am

Hi DRR,

It might help if you co uld clarify if you are interested in a particular region (on camera interview probably means a "local" postdoc) or country. We have readers from many different countries.

Ana
Ana

Postby DRR » Wed Jan 16, 2013 11:42 am

Sure - Thanks Ana. We're open to anywhere in the U.S., which is the x focus of our current report.
DRR

Postby P.C. » Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:08 pm

There is a lot of background you can get by clicking on a particular member and reading his posts. You might also do a keyword search on the archives, say "PhD glut" or PhD overproduction
"You know I'm temperamental." "Yeah, 95% temper, 5% mental." - "Curly" & Moe Horwitz
P.C.

Return to Science Careers Forum