Subscribe

Forum

working for an Expert Network, your experiences?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

working for an Expert Network, your experiences?

Postby A.Tyrol » Tue Jan 22, 2013 12:01 am

I was wondering if anyone here has experience working or an Expert Network (EN) and have a few questions.

What I mean by EN are consulting agencies like Gerson Lehrman Group Research or TEN Technical Expert Network. Please see this this Science article here:

Mervis, J. Expert firms play a hidden role in connecting science and finance. Science 339, 137-139 (2013). URL http://dx.doi.org/10.1126/science.339.6116.137.

EN have a controversial image because they have been linked to insider trading, but I think the concept is not a bad thing per se and I would like to work for an EN to generate additional income if possible.

Some questions I have about ENs:

In the articles I have read about ENs, with respect to life sciences only cardiologists and oncologists seem to be mentioned. I am a post-doc in the genomics / systems biology field, and work at a large governmental non-profit, my area of expertise is computational analysis of next-generation sequencing technologies. Is this attractive enough to ENs or are they seeking explicitly for medical doctors only? Do they seek established, high-level scientists only or does one have a chance at post-doc level to get enough tasks?

Have you worked for an EN, and what are/were your experiences?

How much money can one realistically make? I understand that this of course depends on the time you put into answering surveys and phone calls, but what are typical rates? Typical amount of tasks you can get?

Finally, do you think it is worth it? I like the idea of ENs and am looking for realistic, legal ways of generating additional income, but I understand that there are risks of being associated with an EN: possiblity of trading insider information, even un-intentionally. In my case, although I work at a non-profit I do have insider information because several of my superiors have companies on the side, and sometimes it's pretty easy to make connections between results generated in the lab and resulting implications for spin-off companies.

All opinions of course welcome, but I would be especially interested if someone has actual experience working for an EN. Thanks!
A.Tyrol

Return to Science Careers Forum