Subscribe

Forum

Having an interview with multiple people

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Having an interview with multiple people

Postby James Tyler » Wed Jan 23, 2013 7:00 pm

I have an interview this Friday at a big biotech company, and the description said it will be about 3 hours long (it says 9am to noon/lunch). It says it will be broken down into 30 minute interviews with different people (RAs and supervisors). So far, I have only had interviews that have been 30 minutes to an hour long, so I don’t know what to expect.

Do you guys have any tips on how to do well in this type of interview that I will be having? I’m guessing that each person will ask me if I have any questions at the end. Should I repeat the same questions that I have asked other people that interviewed me previously, or should I not repeat questions? What questions should I ask each person at the end?

Thanks.
James Tyler

Re: Having an interview with multiple people

Postby Rich Lemert » Wed Jan 23, 2013 8:41 pm

The people you'll be talking to share the common interest of making their employer succeed, but will differ in their roles within the company. There are some questions you're likely to ask several times (e.g. "what do you like most about working here?"). In other cases, the interviewer's role will suggest some unique questions. Just take a sincere interest in each person you talk to, and listen earnestly to what they say.
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Re: Having an interview with multiple people

Postby P.C. » Thu Jan 24, 2013 8:51 am

Be thankful it does not extend over 1.5 days and include giving a seminar, attending lunch, a dinner and going to a bar with the prospective big cheese...as some of those interview marathons go.
"You know I'm temperamental." "Yeah, 95% temper, 5% mental." - "Curly" & Moe Horwitz
P.C.

Return to Science Careers Forum