Subscribe

Forum

Approaching hiring manager

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Approaching hiring manager

Postby Andrew1 » Fri Jan 25, 2013 12:39 pm

A friend recently came across a job ad which mentions that the position "reports directly to the chief technology officer". The question arose whether the CTO is likely to be the actual hiring manager. In any case, what would be the best way for the person to use this information ? Would people send a message to the CTO asking something specific about the position; or just send their CV directly to them with a cover letter ?

I'm not sure the best advice to give in this particular circumstance. I believe the company is a few 100 people in size.
Andrew1

Re: Approaching hiring manager

Postby PG » Sat Jan 26, 2013 1:35 am

My advice would be to contact the CTO with a real question regarding the position or company. Dont make something up that just looks like an excuse to make contact it needs to be something real. Preferably you would like a question that lets you mention a couple of sentences about yourself and why you are interested in the position. However dont write an application, the key component in this contact is the question.

The ideal path forward is that you first send a question, you get a reply, and as a response to that reply you sent another e-mail saying something like " your response to my question about .... convinced me that I really would like to work for your company. Please see the attached cover letter and CV"

Hopefully the CTO now has a positive image of the applicant since he did have the insight of asking a brilliant relevant question. Ideally he will then forward the CV to HR with a comment that he thinks that this is a promising candidate that he believes they should bring in for an interview.

If you start by sending a CV it will probably just get forwarded to HR with a note saying " here comes another application" which is not what you want.
PG

Postby Ana » Mon Jan 28, 2013 2:15 am

I agree with PG. It is a good idea to contact the CTO but to it to ask him some questions about the company/department or position. Don't send him a CV in that first e-mail or your application (which is what it would be if you send the CV) will be forwarded directly to HR.
Ana

Postby P. Lues » Mon Jan 28, 2013 4:38 am

Hi Ana and PG,

What kind of hypothetical question would you come up with? I have tried this before and I couldn't think of anything for the life of me so I asked the director of the department, are you the hiring manager and can you tell me more about the position? I didn't send him my CV, I sent that to HR. But I got a phone call from him and he explained the position and asked me questions too (it actually ended up being like a phone interview).

I know it worked this time (sort of) but I just got lucky. I didn't really have anything intelligent to ask when i made that first contact. I'm wondering, what is a better way to approach this? Can you give some hypothetical questions that don't come across as desperate?

P.
P. Lues

Return to Science Careers Forum