Subscribe

Forum

US Postdoctoral Position

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

US Postdoctoral Position

Postby S.F.R. » Tue Jan 29, 2013 11:42 pm

Hello everyone,
I am looking for a postdoctoral position and have few questions.
I received my PhD in Europe and now I move to the US as a permanent resident with no connection.

1- What would be the best step start? Applying for any advertised position OR asking directly to a PI if there is any available position in his/her laboratory OR applying for a fellowship?

2- Following the question above about contacting a lab, is it appropriate to introduce myself and attach my CV with the request?

3- Most of the fellowship I found online require a PI or Mentor. Since I am new in the US system,, can anyone give some suggestion about the best way to ask a person to be your PI?

I also appreciate any help and suggestion to improve networking/connection if you have any.

Thanks a lot
Last edited by S.F.R. on Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:22 pm, edited 1 time in total.
S.F.R.

Re: PI or Mentor for Postdoctoral Position

Postby S.J.D. » Wed Jan 30, 2013 7:45 pm

S.F.R.,

If your CV, letters, and prior research is good enough to make you competitive for a fellowship, then you could contact some PI's and say you were interested in applying for such and such fellowship and you found they might be a good fit with the work you are interested in and the fellowship. Most people are very happy to have someone come in on a fellowship. Personally, I find it much more appealing just to know that someone is willing to try for a fellowship. It shows a little bit of extra motivation and independence. So even if the person does not get the fellowship I might consider them much more seriously. However, if you apply for a fellowship and your position is contingent on it being awarded, then you should also have a plan B. Ideally, you should work through your network. Spamming people may work eventually, but who knows if what you will end up doing is a good fit (assuming you have some long term vision beyond the postdoc). Replying to ads is good if you find the right one, but there is also a lot of competition in this route, so you really need to match the position well. Again, seeing if your current advisor could reach out to people or you reaching out to people you know yourself may be a much more effective way to get a good position.
S.J.D.

Re: PI or Mentor for Postdoctoral Position

Postby RGM » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:32 am

Also, make sure when/if you find a PD, that it's absolutely clear when/if you are expected to get funding on your own. You don't want to be there for year, apply, not get a fellowship, and then be asked to leave due to funding.

As a foreigner you won't qualify for as many US-based fellowships however as US citizens do, so your CV will have to stand out for funding reasons.

I would email PI's directly with your CV attached, that's what we do in here in the USA
"Some men see things as they are and say why, I dream things that never were and say why not"
"If you think research is expensive, try disease." - Mary Lasker
RGM

Re: US Postdoctoral Position

Postby S.F.R. » Fri Feb 01, 2013 12:26 pm

Thank you very much for your advice, I really appreciate it. I started to write some PI to apply for some fellowship program to start and we will see what is going to happen.
S.F.R.

Return to Science Careers Forum