Subscribe

Forum

Advice on on-site interview after layoff

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Advice on on-site interview after layoff

Postby GGC » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:29 pm

Applied for a job at a big company after rounds of layoffs at the company I was working at. At the time I was still employed there. Had a phone interview after being laid off and I wasn't asked and did not volunteer the news.

What would be the best way to break the news when I go for the on-site interview?
GGC

Re: Advice on on-site interview after layoff

Postby Rich Lemert » Wed Jan 30, 2013 4:41 pm

I don't see that there's any necessity for you to "break the news" at all. Your concern is with the job you're trying to get, not the job you lost.

At some point they will probably ask why you're seeking a new position. You can say something like "I started looking in response to rumors about up-coming lay-offs, and unfortunately those rumors have proven to be correct."
Rich Lemert
Advisor

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:21 pm

Rich Lemert wrote:I don't see that there's any necessity for you to "break the news" at all. Your concern is with the job you're trying to get, not the job you lost.

At some point they will probably ask why you're seeking a new position. You can say something like "I started looking in response to rumors about up-coming lay-offs, and unfortunately those rumors have proven to be correct."

That's what I love about Rich Lemert's advice. The verbiage he chose above is PERFECT

Thanks Rich

Dave Jensen
“The world isn't fair, Calvin."
"I know Dad, but why isn't it ever unfair in my favor?”
― Bill Watterson, The Essential Calvin and Hobbes: A Calvin and Hobbes Treasury
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby GGC » Wed Jan 30, 2013 6:33 pm

Thank you Rich and Dave for the replies.
GGC

Return to Science Careers Forum