Subscribe

Forum

Post-interview, how do my chances look?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Post-interview, how do my chances look?

Postby C. Chang » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:24 am

So I interviewed for an industry lab technician job about 3 weeks ago. It's a chemistry job and requires an associates degree in chemistry. I actually have a Bachelor's degree in biology. The interview went well, he gave me his business card, and said, "I'll be in touch". And he said they're looking to put someone on by the end of January.

So I didn't hear anything for the next 3 weeks and called yesterday to ask about my status. They said they're still deciding and I can expect a decision in about two weeks. They said they have decided to hire two (rather than one) lab technician and the first one has just started there.

From some brief research online, at glassdoor.com in which interviewees can rate companies' interview processes, some said their company had a slow hiring process.

Questions:

1. Am I overqualified, under-qualified, or neither in terms of education?
2. How do my chances of landing this job look?
C. Chang

Re: Post-interview, how do my chances look?

Postby P.C. » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:34 am

If you dont get the job, take classes for lab chemist at your local community college. Analytical chemistry.
Companies are slow and picky. Your chances are ok. Regardless, keep networking and applying, and think about your long term plans. I feel sorry for you because you made a poor choice with a degree in biology which are fluff degrees. You should have majored in chemistry or biochemistry which are more rigourous and quantitative and train you how to do calculations and work with instruments more so than biology degrees which fill your head with a lot of facts you can now look up using google.
"You know I'm temperamental." "Yeah, 95% temper, 5% mental." - "Curly" & Moe Horwitz
P.C.

Postby C. Chang » Thu Jan 31, 2013 11:55 am

What type of classes would someone w/ an associates degree in chemistry have that I lack? My interviewer mentioned at the interview, "I myself have a biology degree and I've always thought I've had just as strong a chemistry background as someone with a chemistry degree."

While I'm not quite sure I'd go that far, I've taken many bio labs which involved chemistry techniques or instrumentation. Molecular biology is a perfect example. 95%+ of the lab was working with liquid samples and doing chemical techniques to extract/isolate the DNA/RNA/protein.

But yeah, if I could start again I'd probably major in chemistry.
C. Chang

Postby P.C. » Thu Jan 31, 2013 12:06 pm

There is something to be said to keeping your skills honed.
Experience is pretty important so if you dont get this job, try applying to staffing agencies like kelly services, manpower, manpower technical and others. Get some industry experience and maybe a foot in the door. You might be competing with someone with an associates but did a contract stint with the company or similar company. I did a couple of stints in temp work and most of the kids there were biology bs graduates, in QC and chem jobs.
"You know I'm temperamental." "Yeah, 95% temper, 5% mental." - "Curly" & Moe Horwitz
P.C.

Postby PG » Fri Feb 01, 2013 8:35 am

Always when applying for positions I would recomend moving foward as if you did not get the position. Once your application have been sent until you actually have an offer from the company, continue to explore alternatives, looking for other positions etc.

Even if you think that you are a perfect match and you have received positive comments from the company something can always go wrong and they might be looking at multiple promising candidates. If you take a break from your job search while you are hoping to get a specific position you might have a lot of breaks during a process that can sometimes be very long.

If you do get an offer you can always turn down any future interest from another company telling them that no you will not be available for an interview since you already accepted another position.
PG

Return to Science Careers Forum