Subscribe

Forum

Right amount of time to stick with a first job

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby J.J. » Tue Sep 28, 2004 6:51 pm

Anyone have any guidelines here? My instinct tells me that, if you generally like your job and are getting good experience, you should stay put for 3-5 years in your first job before jumping ship.
Does the fact that it's a first job make any difference in how long you should stay?
J.J.

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:36 pm

Hi Jill,

I'm with you, but I'll tell you that most people don't make it that long. Looking at thousands of resumes and CVs tells me that it is usually more of 1-3 years for the first job. People generally find that they are labeled the "new kid" too long in that first job, and it isn't until they make the break and move to something else that they get the increased respect -- and a fatter paycheck.

One thing I've noticed is that employers are used to seeing this, and they don't hammer away about "why'd you leave that job?" like they normally do when it is a first year stay of 1-3 years.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Kelly Ann » Wed Sep 29, 2004 12:46 pm

I think it also depends what type of job it is. I have seen a much higher turn over rate in research associate positions (that require a bachelors) vs. scientist positions (that require a phD). There is only so much vertical movement that can be obtained with a bachelors degree and thus people tend to move horizontally (branching out into slightly different areas to learn other technical skills). However, I agree with Dave that the 1 to 3 year rule of thumb is very accurate.
Kelly Ann

Postby R. Rattus » Wed Sep 29, 2004 5:53 pm

It realy depends. If you're happy there and have a good chance for advancing, stick around!!!
If its a start up situation and you have a bad feeling and the ship is about to sink - bail out ASAP (the new kid is the last one to get a nice severance package...)
R. Rattus

Return to Science Careers Forum