Subscribe

Forum

Temporary Firms

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Temporary Firms

Postby John Fleming » Tue Sep 28, 2004 4:53 pm

Hello,

Thanks for the new forum. Looks nice.

Are temporary jobs a potential hazard for a person who is seeking to have a full time science job, but can't find one? I've got an offer for six months of work,

John
John Fleming

Temporary Firms

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Sep 28, 2004 8:39 pm

Hi John,

A position with a temp firm can help launch your career, if you don't overstay your welcome. What I mean is this . . . The temp position will give you some track record, some experiences in industry that you can use to your advantage when you are marketing yourself for employment. However, if you stay more than that six months, and go a year or two, you may find yourself being considered a "permanent" temp, by new employers. You don't want to make temping a full time career.

However, its a great way to make some friends, develop marketable experience, and network yourself into a fulltime job.

There are a number of scientific temp firms, with most major cities having at least 2-3 to choose from. Deal with those who you feel a connection with.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Temporary Firms

Postby Jim Gardner » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:38 am

Hey John,

I had a good experience with temporary employment. At the time I was about to finish my PhD in Neuroscience (8.5 years ago), I began looking for positions in industry--for various reasons I did not want to do a postdoc. It was hard going trying to find a job with no experience and no postdoc. After several months of searching, I was finally able to land a job as a medical writer at a major pharmaceutical company in the Philadelphia area through Kelly Scientific. In less than half a year as a temp, I landed a "permanent" job (via a "head hunter") at a large pharma company in central NJ. That little bit of experience went a long way.

One interesting note about finding the position--I had applied to a Kelly Scientific office in NJ and after a month or so, they still hadn't found anything. I then responded to a Kelly add in a Philadelphia newspaper and they immediately found me the writing position. I was under the impression that Kelly had a centralized resume database and shared resumes. Obviously that system didn't work for me. (Of course things could have changed dramatically in the 8.5 years since I was first looking.)

Good Luck!

Jim
Jim Gardner

Temporary Firms

Postby Dave Jensen » Thu Sep 30, 2004 11:44 am

Jim,

Great comment. Shows how important a few months of experience is to break the ice with new employers -- and you didn't even have the usual "required" postdoc!

Most companies with national databases don't even bother to search through those when an opening exists. The recruiters in offices like those you spoke with have their own little rolodex's of people who they hear from regularly and who they are working actively with. That's how you make progress. Don't ever think that just because one office of a company knows about you, that they all will. It's still like that, Jim, all these years later.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Temporary Firms

Postby KC » Fri Oct 01, 2004 12:31 pm

Back to Jim's comment, I also noticed that a few recruiters also show up in a lot of local networking events and volunteer to represent in the information brooth in the trade show/conference. Having the personal contact with them might help.
KC

Return to Science Careers Forum