Transitioning from science to business and back again

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby John Curious » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:49 am

How difficult is it to get a Ph.D.-level scientist position after being away from the bench for a few years?

What suggestions do you have? I want to join a pharmaceutical company but I have not had any luck landing scientist interviews lately (I have been away from the bench doing pharmaceutical market analysis, consulting, and other related work for the last three years). My goal is to gain a position in the future that is more closely tied to drug development research--late-stage preclinical/early-stage clinical, ideally.

Do I need to go back and do a post-doc again? Do I try to get a job more in line with my current positon and then try to move within the company to get a bench position?

I highly value the experience I have gained from my various positions and recruiters/HR people I speak with are generally intrigued with my background but things never progress. What can I do to make the transition back to the bench a reality?

Thank you.
John Curious

Postby Bill L. » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:59 pm

Hi John,

The answer is: ridiculously hard. Perhaps unfairly so. But the theory is that while you've been away your bench work skills have rusted, and it's not clear whether or not you're still current in your field. Therefore if I'm considering you compared to another 'more traditional' candidate, why take the risk?

One solution is to use your network to get to the PI directly, rather than go through the recruiters/HR people. Have contacts hand your application material to them directly; find a way to get an informational interview with them, etc.

The reason for this is that HR folks won't be able to grill you to see if you still are on the top of your game at the bench. They won't be able to ask you about current research. You won't be able to convince them (and it's not them you have to convince) that you can do the work and return to the lab environment.

Good luck,

Bill L. & Naledi S.

Bill L.

Return to Science Careers Forum