Subscribe

Forum

job searching - Ph.D. with experience

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

job searching - Ph.D. with experience

Postby Steve Sheffield » Wed Oct 06, 2004 10:58 am

Hello all:

I wanted to ask a question regarding a major problem I keep running into in my job search (which is mainly focused on academia). I am a biologist/environmental scientist with a Ph.D., 2 yr postdoc, and about 7 yrs now of experience beyond this (in academia, fed gov't, and my own consulting business). I have been quite productive as far as publications, presentations, attending professional scientific meetings, service to professional scientific societies, etc., and generally get 5-6 interviews a year. I always do well in my interviews, however, I never seem to get a job offer, and when I follow up on some of these positions, I find out that they went and hired someone (usually female) right out of their Ph.D. degree with little or no experience and with a CV of 2-3 pages (vs my almost 30 pages). I guess I've gone beyond that fine line between not enough experience and too much experience (or too old, even though I'm not that old), but I would like to see if you think there is a way for me to deal with this problem and if so, if you have any suggestions as to how I might deal with it. For example, is there something that I could consider including in my cover letter that could help? Note - almost all of the positions I have been applying for are entry level (Assistant Professor), so I am willing to accept that, but I get passed over before anyone ever asks what I am willing or not willing to take
(as far as pay, time to tenure, start-up, etc.)
As this has just happened to me once again recently, I am exceedingly frustrated and will greatly apprecaite any suggestions you might have for an experienced Ph.D. looking to break back into academia. Many thanks!!!

Sincerely,

Steve

Steve Sheffield, Ph.D.
11701 Berwick Rd.
Silver Spring, MD 20904 USA
srsheffield@att.net

Steve Sheffield

Return to Science Careers Forum