Subscribe

Forum

Is it worth the hassle to enter America?

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Paul » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:40 pm

In June I went for an interview for an industrial position. It went very well and, before I left that day, the project coordinator laid it out straight that he wanted me and would be making me an offer. Less than one week later, the HR person calls to say that, because I had an "academic" H1B they would have to wait till october to be able to apply for an "industrial" H1B since the allowance for that year had been used. Since this was an open position due to someone leaving, they couldn't wait that long and so were not going to make me an offer.

Well, October just came and I got a phonecall last week asking me to come in for a "discussion". Turns out that they have been interviewing since June and still couldn't find someone as qualified or personable.

While I understand the need for homeland security (I was in Boston on Sept. 11th), it seems to me that the current situation with visas and/or getting a green card for Europeans just isn't worth the hassle.

Same issue seems to apply to obtaining tenure...Institutes don't want you while you are, technically, on a "temporary" work visa and, with the greencard application process taking so long, you end up falling into the trap of post-doc'ing for too long to become resident.
Paul

Postby Bill L. & Naledi S. » Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:04 pm

Hi Paul - I hear this frustration almost daily from sharp scientists who could make a great contribution here if only they could get through the visa hoops to move to industry, or find a way to hold on until they can get the green card, qualify to apply for NIH funding and become more attractive for the academic track.

The good news is that it sounds like the worst might be over for you -- this company sounds like they're willing to get you through that hoop! Couldn't tell from your message but I hope you're going to take them up on it. Don't let your frustration keep you down!

Bill L. and Naledi S.
Bill L. & Naledi S.

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Oct 08, 2004 8:04 am

Hi Paul,

Over many years of recruiting I have found that some companies are very open to sponsoring people like yourself, and view this as a later issue to be decided after they have determined if you fit their company. About 20% of employers fall into that category. As an example, I was working with one company in Madison WI, a major supplier of reagents, but still only a mid-sized company, and they were indeed wide open to help out with the legal documents necessary, pay all the costs, etc. But that was ONLY after the candidate sold them on how they could benefit the team.

Another client, a major fortune 100 company in St. Louis, loved a particular job candidate but would do NOTHING to help that person and "if they don't have a green card already, we can't help them" was the attitude.

Yes, your job search is made much more difficult, but it can still be done if you find the right organization and truly do your interviewing well. Good luck!

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

It might be a moot point...

Postby Jim Austin » Tue Oct 12, 2004 10:00 am

Have you applied for the H1-B yet? According to the folks at DHS, the H1-B quota for the current fiscal year, which started only 12 days ago, has already been met, and further applications will be returned unreviewed.

Hope this doesn't mess things up for you.

Best Regards,
Jim Austin
Jim Austin

Is it worth the hassle to enter America? (Green Card)

Postby K Seth » Thu Oct 14, 2004 8:04 pm

Paul,

Have you looked into the Exceptional Ability categories of obtaining a green card? You say you\'re with Harvard. That should carry some weight.

Mine was done this way, but long time ago (8-9 yrs).

Like Bill and Naledi said, you\'ll probably get this job. But even then you can apply for your green card both via your employer, as well as under the category I mentioned.
K Seth

Return to Science Careers Forum