Subscribe

Forum

For Previous Forum Users

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

For Previous Forum Users

Postby Dave Jensen » Thu Oct 07, 2004 5:03 am

Hello,

I know that we've had some regular users of another forum that we moderated make the transition to the AAAS career discussion forum. Thank you for this.

I am curious as to your views on whether the software works as you expect, and whether the feature set we've included here is working for you. Please let me know of your impressions. I think the AAAS did a nice job of tuning it up, but then again we are all getting used to the new format.

Thanks for your help,

Dave Jensen, Moderator
Dave Jensen

For Previous Forum Users

Postby Brian » Thu Oct 07, 2004 8:37 am

Dave,
Glad I found you guys, I thought you were getting out of the forum business and was mourning the loss...

The only comment I have is that some of the older (week?) messages don't show complete threading until you are actually reading the text. Perhaps this saves space, but it is a little difficult to scan through the "archives" for messages that I may have missed. Generally I pay more attention to a post that gets replys than not because some questions just don't get answered. Perhaps there is a way to indicate how may replys a message has gotten on the initial list (like a "ubb" forum)?

But regardless, glad to see you still in the game, now I have to check two career forums every day.

Brian
Brian

For Previous Forum Users

Postby A. Sam » Thu Oct 07, 2004 12:34 pm

I think the software is great and format is great. The one thing I like about the other forum that's notably missing here (and this may just be something about how my computer is set-up) is there was a notice of how many messages are new since my last visit and a little red "new" sign next to the messages posted since my last visit in the old forum. It would be great to have a feature like that here.
A. Sam

For Previous Forum Users

Postby Dave Jensen » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:12 pm

Thanks Sam and Brian. I agree with both of your comments, and REALLY MISS a notice saying "new" to new messages.

Brian, it is our goal to find you will soon only bookmark one career discussion forum . . . Also, someone please post our new URL, no one seems to be doing that, and/or they are removing them.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

For Previous Forum Users

Postby Al » Thu Oct 07, 2004 3:43 pm

I believe someone posted the link at the other forum, and it has been removed. Another post didn't link it, but mentioned that where the moderators had gone.

I (mostly) lurked at the other site, but have religiously checked the forum on a daily basis as I've moved from post-doc to a researcher in biotech. I've always found Dave, Bill and Naledi (along with other common contributors) to give excellent advice, and I am extremely happy to have found their new home.

-Al

P.S. I also vote for the "new" indicator on messages, if it is possible to implement.
Al

For Previous Forum Users

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Oct 08, 2004 7:57 am

Thanks for the vote of support Al! Don't lurk, be a participant!

Dave
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

For Previous Forum Users

Postby Patrick P » Fri Oct 08, 2004 10:12 am

Dear Dave,

I am happy to find that you moved here. My suggestion is to try and get our regular posters (Andrew kolbert, John and...) to move here as well. By the way, the old forum is languishing for the past few weeks without any exciting messages.

Just my thoughts.

Patrick P.
Patrick P

For Previous Forum Users

Postby Dave Jensen » Sat Oct 09, 2004 2:15 pm

Hi Patrick

Good to see you here, welcome! I wish that I could attract those few over here, but I can't. They need to find it on their own, because I promised Lee that I wouldn't be prying people out. Sadly, people tell me that the site has been pulling notices of our new address.

Glad to have you here.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

For Previous Forum Users

Postby Drew Parrish » Thu Oct 14, 2004 1:13 am

The new site sofware seems to be working great, even on Mac OSX Safari, which isn't always the case at the other site. My only request, as stated by others, would be for marking new posts - or maybe using a more conventional bulletin board program where individual threads are self-contained and are "bumped up" with new posts.

My worry with this site was (and maybe still is) that it has a generic scientific career focus. While I'm happy that you're sharing your wisdom to the greater science world, I've enjoyed and benefited from a biotech focus! I'm not really a daily-checker on any site, but I look forward to seeing your opinions on this one. I've really valued your (and Bill & Naledi's) advice and am happy to have found you over here.

Drew
Drew Parrish

For Previous Forum Users

Postby Dave Jensen » Thu Oct 14, 2004 9:00 am

Drew, this is a biotechnology forum. We'll get occasional questions that are for other parts of science, but you'll note that they are not answered in great detail, and that the trust of the forum is careers in biotechnology and pharmaceuticals -- which is the base of advertisers that the AAAS has had for the last decade or more.

Really glad you found us and I hope that someone will post a message letting others know where we are,

regards,

Dave Jensen
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Next

Return to Science Careers Forum