Subscribe

Forum

how to get into clinical research

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby david » Sun Oct 10, 2004 5:01 pm

I was wondering how someone with an academic research background gets into clinical research. I have a BS biology, MS genetics, and a few yrs of academic lab management under my belt, but most clinical research associate positions I see require a few years experience. If anyone has any suggestions on how to get those few years experience, I would love to hear about it. I am aware of certificate programs, but it seems like my quantitative background would lend itself to CRA positions.
david

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Oct 12, 2004 9:09 pm

David,

This is a very common concern. Several categories of "hot jobs" have this same issue . . . They are great opportunities, but they always insist on experience. And how do you get it when you are just starting out?

In the case of clinical, I would strongly recommend that you hook up with a temp services staffing firm that specializes in the clinical field. Get with Kelly Scientific's clinical division, or ClinForce, etc. These firms take qualified people like yourself and put them into temporary positions where they can benefit the employer but where they will also get some very marketable experience. Even six months is good enough on a resume to break the ice and get a full time position.

Also, one advantage of some of these firms (and there are a lot more than the two I mentioned) is that they have "temp to perm" arrangements with their CRO customers and you can go directly to a full-time position if the company likes you.

Dave Jensen, Moderator
CareerTrax Inc.
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum