Subscribe

Forum

Is a PhD worth it

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Is a PhD worth it

Postby Jon » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:14 pm

I have a MS in Applied Mathematics. I used to be focussed towards getting my PhD in the area of applications to medical/disease research. For my masters, I have already published in this area. However, I wonder if it's really worth the 4-5+years of struggle for the PhD. My supervisors are encouraging me to go for the PhD, but on top of everything, I'm having a hard time finding a good biomath program at a top school located in a major urban center. I took a summer job this year in math. finance, and, while, it wasn't as interesting as math bio, still, it was decent. Do I have many options in math bio industry with just MS; how much better does the PhD make it - I don't see myself in academia.

Thanks
Jon

Is a PhD worth it ?

Postby Jim Austin » Fri Oct 15, 2004 12:34 pm

First off, check out our recent feature on this topic (assuming you have access to Science's Next Wave.

I'm not an expert on the field of mathematical biology, but I edited that feature, and based on that experience I'd have to guess that it's pretty much an academic field...and a lively one at that. Which is to say that I'm not aware of very many jobs in mathematical biology that are not in academia.

Is it worth it? That's for you to decide. No academic career is easy. A Ph.D. in a relevant field is no guarantee of future success.

You've got some more introspection to do. But if your goal is to work in mathematical biology, I think you need a Ph.D.

Best of Luck,
Jim Austin

Jim Austin

Return to Science Careers Forum