Subscribe

Forum

PhD transitioning to public health

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Betty » Thu Oct 14, 2004 10:32 am

Hello
I have decided to leave my PhD program in microbiology to pursue MPH in epidemiology. How important is it for me to explain this move to the admission committee in my personal statement? Any advice on how to make the move easier would be appreciated. I am now trying to complete my master's thesis and plan on applying to public health schools in fall'05.
Betty

Postby Jim Gardner » Thu Oct 14, 2004 12:17 pm

Sorry to answer your question with a question, but why do you want to get an MPH? What kind(s) of job(s) interest you?

(Not that I'll have much to say after your answer -- I don't know much about public health jobs. However, understanding your goals might help other posters answer you. If you are in passionate pursuit of a career for which the MPH is an optimal educational background, then I would think a very honest statement to this effect would make for a compelling personal statement on your application.)

Good Luck!

Jim
Jim Gardner

Postby Betty » Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:24 am

Hi Jim,
I am interested in epidemiology. I have decided to make the switch for a couple of reasons: I am more interested in working in disease prevention than in basic science, I have been growing very unhappy about bench work and this summer my advisor decided to take a job in industry so he left the lab and all of us. So I saw my advisor leaving as an opportunity to make that leap since I have been thinking about it for over a year. Thank you for the advice about my personal statement I am in the process of writing it right now and the part of explaining my switch has been on my mind.

Betty
Betty

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Oct 15, 2004 11:44 am

Hi Betty,

With the additional information you provided in your second post, I am certain that you will be able to explain this move to Epidemiology to future employers. The graduate advisor leaving the lab and the sudden flux that this would cause should be very easy to understand for most people. Add to this the fact that you have developed a strong interest in disease prevention, and it sounds like you are making the move out of desire, as opposed to "running away from something else."

Let us know how it goes!

Dave Jensen, Moderator
CareerTrax Inc.
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum