Subscribe

Forum

An interesting article

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

An interesting article

Postby Dave Jensen » Fri Oct 15, 2004 3:52 pm

The following link will be interesting to anyone considering biotechnology as a career choice. Often, the effect of biotechnology companies in a given region is overestimated by politicians and the lay press. Reading this article will give you a good idea of salaries, numbers of future employees, etc, in one of our nation's top bio-cluster regions.

Seattle Times Article
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

An interesting article

Postby John G. » Fri Oct 15, 2004 5:17 pm

Very good piece. One strange comment from the hiring manager at the Seattle Biomedical Institute, however, mentioning postdoc salaries go as high as $76,000. If I ever heard a load of bull, that would be it.

JG
John G.

An interesting article

Postby A. Sam » Mon Oct 18, 2004 1:37 pm

People are at a loss to point to just where any new jobs will come from and what are the emerging growth industries. With a shrug we can offer up biotech. It is a great industry that's here to stay but it sure won't be able to replace any jobs that have been sent overseas. An important question for which there doesn't appear to be any answers is: what can the students and the unemployed of today do to prepare for a secure and good-paying career?
A. Sam

An interesting article

Postby Dave Jensen » Mon Oct 18, 2004 7:11 pm

Sam,

I agree that there aren't a lot of answers to the question of "what can you do to prepare for a secure and good-paying career" . . . The biotech industry, and the life sciences in general, seem to me to be very good long-term career areas, but they certainly will have their own ups and downs. You never know what is going to be "hot" in the sciences. It's a real up and down scenario, based upon your specialty.

I don't know how jobs in bioscience research could get outsourced -- do you think this could happen? I can definitely see manufacturing plants and distribution points around the world taking jobs away from the USA, but it is really hard to do quality R&D in some of those off-shore environments.

Or am I wrong -- other thoughts? Maybe I am too optimistic

Dave
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

An interesting article

Postby A. Sam » Tue Oct 19, 2004 2:02 pm

Guess I got off subject a little. Since the US is the major driver of new innovations that ultimately get outsourced once they're routine, I guess it's tempting to speculate what the next generation industry will be. Sorry, not really relevant here. Except for in the sense that yes, I presume that a lot of biotech R and D will be done overseas soon. What's the situation now: most new biopharm innovations that hit the market were in-licensed or purchased by the producer. In-house R and D is often a secondary source of leads at best. There are dozens of large contract labs across the country who offer contract research services that can start as far upstream as discovery. I don't see any reason why all this work couldn't be done overseas with sufficient supervision. We've begun developing drugs that originated overseas and the economics of it are a slam dunk. I usually advise college kids to consider careers in business or finance.
A. Sam

Return to Science Careers Forum