Subscribe

Forum

Life Sciences Business Programs

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Oct 19, 2004 11:33 am

As a forum moderator, I am asked regularly about programs where scientists can go to study the business of biotechnology or pharmaceuticals. We've never published a list of these programs, so I thought that I would start a thread on the topic and others could add to the following list. Please note that none of our regular posters and moderators/advisors have EVER suggested that an MBA directly after a science degree is the right approach. Most comments in the past have been that business degrees are best added to a CV after a few years of company experience: This list is in no particular order. Each of these institutions offers a science-oriented business degree and they also offer short courses (the short courses are in parenthesis).

- Harvard Business School (Leadership and Strategy in Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)

- Kellogg School of Management (Biotechnology Strategies for Growth)

- St. Josephs University

- San Diego State University Business School

- Vanderbilt University (Growing & Managing a Biotech Enterprise)

- Wharton (Wharton/Windhover Program for Pharma and Biotech Executives)

If you know of others, please post them here. For example, the Keck Graduate Institute of Applied Life Sciences offers a professional MS degree that is a combo of science and business,

Dave Jensen, moderator
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Nikos » Tue Oct 19, 2004 5:57 pm

While pursuing my PhD in cancer biology, I have had the opportunity to take a course at the Kellogg School of Management titled "Biotechnology:Models and Technologies." The course allowed one to mimic the role of the business development manager at either a firmly established or startup biotech company. This class was very helpful in allowing me to learn a lot about the "value chain" in the biotech industry, as well as enhancing my network by performing a lot of the tasks and projects in the class with a number of Kellogg students. Additionally, I got the opportunity to meet a number of marketing and sales executives, as well as a couple venture capitalists who gave presentations throughout the course. A lot of the work I conducted in the class helped me better understand some of the life and medical technology evaluation and licensing matters that I have encountered during my time volunteering at the Univversity technology transfer office

For anyone in academia volunteering or interning in their tech transfer department or for those thinking about moving into the life sciences industry, I would highly recommend one of these types of courses at one of the afore mentioned business schools.

Nick
Nikos

Postby Kelly Ann » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:21 pm

While I am not familiar with the before-mentioned programs, I have seen that many Bay Area evening or weekend business programs (designed for professionals) offer marketing or entrepeunership courses that have an emphasis in high tech (though not specifically aimed at biotech). UC Berkeley's program would be a good example of this.
Kelly Ann

Postby Dave Jensen » Tue Oct 19, 2004 6:31 pm

Thanks Kelly Ann and Nick,

Nick, I am really glad to hear what you said about your attendance at a special course. I see many of these special programs, and I know that some are quite expensive. But, it sounds some of them offer a lot of practical experience in a short time. I would particularly think that the networking contacts you've gained are very important.

Thanks for popping in with an excellent comment!! I might add that even though a 3 day course or something short like that isn't an MBA, it can still help a great deal on a resume or CV.

Dave
"One of the most powerful networking practices is to provide immediate value to a new connection. This means the moment you identify a way to help someone, take action." - Lewis Howes
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Return to Science Careers Forum