Subscribe

Forum

Biochemistry and Languages

Welcome to the newly redesigned Science Careers Forum. Please bookmark this site now for future reference. If you've previously posted to the forum, your current username and password will remain the same in the new system. If you've never posted or are new to the forum, you will need to create a new account.

The new forum is designed with some features to improve the user experience. Upgrades include:
- easy-to-read, threaded discussions
- ability to follow discussions and receive notifications of updates
- private messaging to other SC Forum members
- fully searchable database of posts
- ability to quote in your response
- basic HTML formatting available

Moderator: Dave Jensen
Advisors:   Ana, PG, Rich Lemert, Dick Woodward, Dave Walker
Meet the Moderator/Advisors

Postby C. Blinx » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:03 pm

I hope it won't sound like crazy question. I have more than 10 years experience doing bench work in the areas of biochemistry, molecular biology, chemistry and recently with the "omics" (genomics and metabolomics). During my career path I have been exposed to different languages and lived in different countries where I learned and practiced several languages: English, Spanish and French among others. I do speak, write and translate fluently at least 4 languages. I do not wish to continue doing the bench work. Are there any jobs that would combine the scientific knowledge in specific area and fluency in languages? Do you have any advices?
Thanks,
Michelle
C. Blinx

Postby Dave Jensen » Wed Oct 20, 2004 6:24 pm

Michelle,

I hope we'll get some other posters here to help you out.

My suggestion is that you, like many others who don't like bench research any longer, would likely do well on the business side of companies. Firms that do business in the countries that speak those languages do need people on their business side who can help those customers.

Let me give you an example. One fine company that makes products for the research field, as you probably know them, is Promega Corporation. i've worked for them in the past . . . I know how much they value people who have multiple language skills. Paricularly in a company like that, which sells reagents to Canada, South America, etc -- they need people to operate tech support desks who speak those languages.

You wouldn't be doing bench work yourself, but you'd be supporting people who do. Those positions are called "Technical Support" positions or sometimes "Applications Scientists" jobs. They are present in any company that sells instruments, reagents, etc, to life scientists.

That's the first thing that I can think of, and I hope you'll get some other posters who will assist. One of my friends, JGH, has had a job like this in the past and I hope that John will jump in on this one and help out if he feels this advice is good.

regards,

Dave Jensen, Moderator
CareerTrax Inc.
"Failure is a bruise -- not a tattoo." -- Jon Sinclair
Dave Jensen
Site Moderator

Postby Kelly Ann » Wed Oct 20, 2004 8:15 pm

So, how does one get started in the tech support arena (transitioning from the bench)? What experience is considered essential?
Kelly Ann

Postby Bill L. & Naledi S. » Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:03 pm

There are some terrific articles on how others have made this transition at:
Transition Article

If the link doesn't work for you, you can email me directly and I'll see what I can do to get them to you.

Bill L., Advisor
Bill L. & Naledi S.

Return to Science Careers Forum